Can L Freeze A Decorated Cake

Decorating By yummymummycakes Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 7:15am by chezz

yummymummycakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:16am
post #1 of 9

Just wanted some advice if I can freeze a cake decorated in buttercream?

I would need to bake and decorate on the Thursday and deliver it on Monday due to going away for the weekend.

I would prefer to honour the order but I cannot give up my weekend away (its the only weekend we have for a year to get away without the kids)

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
cheryl

8 replies
sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:31am
post #2 of 9

BC tends to sweat when you take it out of the freezer. It's usually not a big deal, unless the colors are contrasting. For example, the red BC may run onto the white. I had this happen once. It was a mess. I wouldn't try it. Personally I wouldn't take the order. Otherwise you'll stress about the cake instead of having fun with your kids.

leepat Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:31am
post #3 of 9

I have been told that you can. I personally have never done it. Hopefully someone with more experience freezing will reply.

Lesia Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:50am
post #4 of 9

I did this once when I accidentally booked a wedding during my vacation. I baked and decorated, placed in a large box and wrapped with plastic wrap. My son in law took it out 24hr before the wedding and let it thaw in the wrapped box. Delivered it with no problems. Here is the pic he took, (if I can figure out how to attach it)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/jaxbridal/122805.jpg

yummymummycakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 9

sarahpierce - I think you misunderstood. It's the only weekend we can get away without the kids. NO children for 3 days and 2 nights...... bliss.

Lesia - that cake is gorgeous.

Might do a trial this week and see how I go.

thanks for the advice.

cheryl

sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 9

Sorry, just got home from a long night at work. No one ever said I could read! icon_redface.gif I guess what I meant to say was- Enjoy your weekend without the kids. icon_biggrin.gif . Trust me I know what it's like. Best wishes.

MacsMom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9

I know many who do freeze BC cakes. Thawing them in the fridge overnight and then room temp for a few hours helps keep condensation minimal--just don't touch the cake as it dries.

I've had to freeze two completely decorated fondant cakes and they thawed perfectly (I have to freeze another in a couple weeks).

yummymummycakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #8 of 9

Well, its decided I will do the cakes prior and freeze them!!

Woo hoo, here comes a weekend away with no children. Hooray!!!!
With 12 children between us, I think we have earnt the weekend away after the stress of the Uni exams.

Thanks ladies for your help, you have made my man very happy.

chezz Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:15am
post #9 of 9

Good to get away, Cheryl, lucky you. I thought that most of your kids were grown up and out of home, must have been mistaking you for someone else. Hope you had a great time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%