Cake Camp - Items For Carry On

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm by TexasSugar

quilting2011 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:28am
post #1 of 8

Can I carry my cake decorating tips on the plane? Have any of you had any problems going through security. How are you bringing your class supplies?

7 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:06am
post #2 of 8

I have two work shops in July so whatever I use for those (and need for cake camp), I'll add to carry on, but anything else I'm going to send UPS in advance. I've never gone before and the last time I was on a plane was in Aug. 2001, so I don't know what to expect at the airport either.

Good luck (to all of us going to cake camp)!

quilting2011 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:24am
post #3 of 8

I called a friend who is pastry chef in Las Vegas. He will let me borrow his cake tips from home. He works at the the Mandalay Bay. One less item to carry on the plane.

BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:07am
post #4 of 8

When I went last year, and idiot TSA agent gave me a fit about a blunt spatula! His supervisor's mom is a cake decorator, so he got in trouble and I took it merrily onto the plane icon_lol.gif

When I travel with cake stuff, I only carry on the "valuable" stuff--my ball tool, my PME (plastic) tools, my Cel Board, and the rest pretty much goes in packed luggage with bubble wrap, zip locs, whatever.

snowshoe1 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 8

Last April I carried PME metal tips and spatulas through security in Newark with no issues. But your post has me wondering as it seems everytime I go through security there is a different interpretation of the 'rules.'

I'm taking a direct flight to LV so I think I'll check everything.

SugarPlumFairy - are you sending your supplies directly to the hotel?

Jolene78 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 8

What is "Cake Camp"? Is it quite intensive? How do you get to go? Is there an experience level? This sounds like a great time. I hope you have fun!

snowshoe1 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 8

Here's some info:

Its at the end of the month in Vegas - looks like great classes, vendors and a lot of sharing.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 8

I just flew two weekends ago, and they searched my purse because I had a small (3in long) screwdriver for sunglasses in my sunglass case. The screwdriver parts were inside. They gave it back to me, but still had to look at it. So I guess it depends on your airport and the people at security that day.

If you have any questions about items maybe you can contact someone at the airport to ask before you get there. Better do that or pack it rather than having it taken away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%