Yep, Another Cookie Bouquet Pricing Question...

Baking By JenWhitlock Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 12:15am by ckdcr8r

JenWhitlock Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 21

ok, so I am feeling ok about my $1/inch cookie pricing (this includes a cello bag and printed card, see attached) but I have only done one bouquet before this (a free one). I did this just for fun, but I'm thinking that I might get some requests so I'd would like some pricing advise....please?

Ariel is about 8" so $8
Flounder and Sebastian are about 3" wide by about 2" high, so $2.50
and the 7 bubble sticks are about 2" or $2
so that's $27
the pot was on sale at Micheals for $2.50

what's the going rate for bouquets? and how do you price them?
thanks!!!
LL
LL

20 replies
Tscookies Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:56am
post #2 of 21

Your bouquet is absolutely gorgeous! I have a little four year old that be soooo thrilled to receive something like that. I would definitely pay $27. Lots of work for you though ... all those colors!.

Peeverly Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 21

Jen,

First of all, I absolutely LOVE these cookies. Second, $27 is a steal. I went online last night to look at some 4th of July cookies and I found some that were $5 each, $7.50 each and that wasn't even in a bouquet with sticks and they weren't even half as detailed as your cookies. Now, I would never charge that but for such detailed work I think you should charge more. The $1 per inch rule is good but what about the detail. I think we forget about that. And, the sticks too. That's just my opinion.
Keep up your great work!

Susan

P.S. I still can't get over those snowman cookies you did this past winter! icon_biggrin.gif

ckdcr8r Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 21

You could easily get twice that much, especially since they are hand piped. And btw, you did a fabulous job! I do edible image cookies and I charge $45 for 7 cookies about 3 1/2 inches each in a bouquet. No one has blinked yet.

yankeegal Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 21

My "normal" bouquet prices are $5 per cookie-3 cookie bouquets in a standard plain box $15 etc...If a different container/basket is used, or different custom cookies are requested, the price goes up.

Now, your bouquet with it's specialty cookies-hand decorated and extra large, I would sell for at least $40-$50. This bouquet is amazing!!! Remember to include in the price your time as well!

JenWhitlock Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #6 of 21

thanks!
I don't know if I'll start doing bouquets, but I have a better feel for what the going rate is icon_smile.gif

iramirez94 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #7 of 21

ckd... how do you make the cards to attach to the bag?
Is is glued.. I can't tell.

Are they all edible images.. and how do you attach them.. Are they on top of RI, fondant, rolled buttercreme or what?

Thanks

JenWhitlock Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #8 of 21

for my cookies, I print on cardstock big enough to fold over the top of the bag and just staple it twice (cello bag is folded over several times)
I would love to know how how she did them too!

Quote:
Quote:

Are they all edible images.. and how do you attach them.. Are they on top of RI, fondant, rolled buttercreme or what?

I would imagine that you could put a edible image on while the cookie is hot, if it was on fondant?

I did do MMF on hot cookies once of twice and it worked great.

Newatdecorating Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 21

You have $27 just for your cookies. I would then add $1 per cookie charge to that, so $10. You had to do an extra step when you added the stick to the cookie. You paid $2.50 for the pot. I would increase that, at least to $8, to cover the cost of the pot, filler and whatever type of bagging you use for the cookies. So $45 is the least I would take for that and considering how your cookies look, I would consider a higher price. You did a fantastic job making them look exactly like the characters!

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 21

First of all, I love your cookies. With your skill level, you shouldn't have a problem selling them. However, think a bit before selling anything with a copyright. Chances are good that you wouldn't get into trouble, especially if it's just to friends, but do be careful.

FromScratch Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 21

Yes.. ditto to GeminiRJ.. you can't sell the licensed characters. The cookies are BEAUTIFUL and you should be charging more. I'd charge $1 per inch un-wrapped.. extra $0.50 each for the wrap and tag.. the intricate piping would add an extra charge. That ariel cookie I'd charge $15 for.. that a TON of work.. and many colors.. how long did it take you?? $8 for that much work is a steal.

JenWhitlock Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 21

thank you!
I do know about the licensing issues.
sorry that I wasn't clear.
what I meant was, that I was interested in the price of a comparable piece.
like I said, this was only my second bouquet and I did it 'just because'
(and my kids love eating it!)

actually I don't know how long it took, I wasn't really paying attention, and I was doing a bit here and there in between the 'real' cakes and cookies that I had going.

FromScratch Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 21

It's so easy to lose how much time it actually takes to do these cookies.. use a stop watch to keep time.. you'll be amazed. LOL

Beautiful work though.. truely marvelous.

littlecake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 21

what a nice job!

27.00 is WAY underpriced....have you ever thought of doing some teaching cd's?

JenWhitlock Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

....have you ever thought of doing some teaching cd's?

icon_lol.gif Wow, I love teaching, but I don't consider myself worthy yet.. I've only done this for about a year. and Ariel broke twice, LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had to 'glue' the backside with RI. shhh! (well, I guess more sugar isn't bad!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

It's so easy to lose how much time it actually takes to do these cookies.. use a stop watch to keep time.. you'll be amazed. LOL

I do have a pretty good idea in general, which is why I can't usually bring myself to eat my own cookies. icon_lol.gif I usually make ugly leftovers (like bakinccc - thanks for posting!) just for me to eat!

Tellis12 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #16 of 21

My SIL would love the bouquet. She's a huge Ariel freak. I'd pay at LEAST $30 for that. And I'm poor!

littlecake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:35am
post #17 of 21

[quote="JenWhitlock"]

Quote:

....have you ever thought of doing some teaching cd's?

icon_lol.gif Wow, I love teaching, but I don't consider myself worthy yet.. I've only done this for about a year. and Ariel broke twice, LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had to 'glue' the backside with RI. shhh! (well, I guess more sugar isn't bad!)
----------------
if it's only been that long, you are gifted...

and i'd buy a cd off of ya!

i bet you were a painter before you started doing this detective.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:49am
post #18 of 21
Quote:

i bet you were a painter before you started doing this detective.gif

nope. an aeronautical engineer. icon_lol.gif
but I always have been artistic.
oohh. so sleepy, off to bed.
Happy 4th everyone!
and again thanks for the kind words and advise!

mjballinger Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:59am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

I'd pay at LEAST $30 for that. And I'm poor!

Ditto! lol. Amazing cookies! You did a great job, and seriously, at least $30. I made some apple/worm cookies that I thought were time consuming, I can't even imagine the time it took you to do those.

milissasmom Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:01am
post #20 of 21

Oh girl please...You can EASILY get at least 40-50 bucks for these...Have you seen www.cookiesbydesign.com????? I used to purchase from them for YEARS and I was paying 50 bucks 7-8 years ago for like 6 cookies. Don't sell yourself short. ALSO, I did cookie bouquets or Mother's Day with cookies that were not nearly as detailed and I got 25.00 for them with 5 cookies (2-3 inches) and they were just covered in fondant in pretty flower pots from the dollar store! Don't sell yourself short

ckdcr8r Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:15am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by iramirez94

ckd... how do you make the cards to attach to the bag?
Is is glued.. I can't tell.

Thanks

I use a scrapbooking glue runner to attach the cardstock. It is folded over the cello bags, which are heat sealed. I never use staples. Staples and food are a bad combo.

I use a combo of RBC and MMf on my cookies, which if I have time, the images are put on the hot icing. I do the put the icing on the hot cookie and put it back in the oven for a minute thing. If the icing is cooled, I spray the icing lightly with clear vanilla to adhere the image. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%