Gumpaste Is Getting On My Last Nerve! Help!

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm by Sugarflowers

tracycakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I am trying to practice my gumpaste roses. I can't find tylose so I decided to get the Wilton Gumpaste mix to make my gumpaste. It worked fine. Yesterday, I used my impression mold and made a cross and then made the center cones for about 6 roses. Today they are dry so I decided to make the petals.

I can't even get the stuff rolled into a smooth ball. It keeps cracking and won't smooth out. I've tried cornstarch, I've put shortening on my hands to help and it just falls apart. I'm rolling a ball and it looks like the cracks are almost gone and then....boom! it just falls apart.

I haven't had this problem before. Can anyone helps me figure out what's going on?

8 replies
tracey1970 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 9

I've never used the mix before. I've only used the Ready-to-Use stuff by both Wilton and Satin Ice and not had this problem. Hope someone can help.

aliciaL_77 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 9

I was dealing with that too.. I kneaded in a bit of shortening into it and that seemed to help more than putting the shortening on my hands. HTH

tracycakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I mixed a little fondant in it and it was better. When I start again tomorrow, I may try to mix some shortening in. I'm wondering if I just ended up working too much cornstarch into it.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #5 of 9

Yeah, it's just way too dry. Add some fondant, shortening, or even the smallest bit of water. You need to get it hydrated.

jess85 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #6 of 9

kneading more shortening or a little water will help, also try using powdered sugar instead of cornflour, it doesnt dry the paste out so much.
good luck

punkyf Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:36am
post #7 of 9

I also had this problem and I added a little corn syrup to the gum paste. It got a little sticky so I just coated my hands with shortening and kneaded the corn syrup into the gum paste.
Hope this helps.

tracycakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone!

Now for a crazy update. I was practicing roses for a groom's cake for Aug. 2 for a co-workers son. She came by this morning and said that her son got married this weekend. icon_eek.gif

Apparently, there was a lot of drama with "her" family so they just got married. They are going to have a drop-in shower on their original day and may just have a sheet cake. Oh well. I'm still going to practice my roses though.

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 9

If you use tylose and water as your gum glue then a small amount of this into your gumpaste. Kneading in some glycerin will help too. Glycerin will also add some stretch and smoothness to your gumpaste.

A dry gumpaste prevention trick is to roll out the gumpaste on a VERY thin film of shortening rather than starch or powdered sugar.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%