Blue Bonnet Butter Vs. Real Butter - Is There A Difference?

Decorating By born2bake Updated 9 Jun 2017 , 1:22pm by littlejewel

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:50pm
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

"salad dressing/miracle whip" was mayonaisse! Never knew there was "real" mayo!

Hee Hee! I thought so too! It wasn't until I was in collage and I ate a Wendy's burger. I said "What on earth is it that makes these burgers taste SO good!?!" I figured it was some restaurant secret ingredient. Little did I know that was real mayo and that the average person could just go buy it at the grocery store! Miracle Whip is DISGUSTING!! MMMMM mayo.......

As far as the butter argument goes, as a kid I preferred margarine. It seemed to have more buttery taste than butter(ironic, eh?). Once I'd heard that the trans fat in margarine was more damaging to your heart than real butter, I've never had margarine again. It's probably been a good 15 years since I last had margarine.

mandigoldner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandigoldner Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 7:47pm
post #62 of 76

Having Worked at Unilevers Premier Margarine Factory in the UK for 1 Year, as a Management Trainee, and then in Sri Lanka Managing Margarine Manufacture, I can safely admit that what you are about to read is true !!    Pass The Butter ... Please.    This is interesting . .. .     Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.    It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....     DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?     Read on to the end...gets very interesting!    Both have the same amount of calories.   Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.     Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.       Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.  Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!     Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.     Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .    And now, for Margarine..     Very High in Trans fatty acids.    Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...     Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)     Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..    Lowers quality of breast milk     Decreases immune response.    Decreases insulin response.     And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!     Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.    These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).     Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:      * no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)          * it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.        Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?      Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!     Chinese Proverb:   When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.     Pass the BUTTER PLEASE

Having Worked at Unilevers Premier Margarine Factory in the UK for 1 Year, as a Management Trainee, and then in Sri Lanka Managing Margarine Manufacture, I can ...
safely admit that what you are about to read is true !!

Pass The Butter ... Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE

mandigoldner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandigoldner Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 7:49pm
post #63 of 76

Having Worked at Unilevers Premier Margarine Factory in the UK for 1 Year, as a Management Trainee, and then in Sri Lanka Managing Margarine Manufacture, I can safely admit that what you are about to read is true !!    Pass The Butter ... Please.    This is interesting . .. .     Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.    It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....     DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?     Read on to the end...gets very interesting!    Both have the same amount of calories.   Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.     Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.       Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.  Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!     Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.     Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .    And now, for Margarine..     Very High in Trans fatty acids.    Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...     Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)     Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..    Lowers quality of breast milk     Decreases immune response.    Decreases insulin response.     And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!     Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.    These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).     Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:      * no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)          * it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.        Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?      Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!     Chinese Proverb:   When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.     Pass the BUTTER PLEASE

Having Worked at Unilevers Premier Margarine Factory in the UK for 1 Year, as a Management Trainee, and then in Sri Lanka Managing Margarine Manufacture, I can ...
safely admit that what you are about to read is true !!

Pass The Butter ... Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 12:24am
post #64 of 76

Indydebi you were not alone I came from a home of 8 children with a single Mom after my Dad walked out. I don't think I knew butter until after I got married, I love butter for some odd reason. I only use butter in all my cookies. Guess it all depends on personal taste . 

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 12:55am
post #65 of 76

Fun to see this old thread resurrected again. Me? I use nothing but butter in everything. Growing up was a different story as all my mother used was margarine. Someone awhile back remembered having to add the yellow coloring...I remember sitting on the kitchen counter as a little girl, squeezing and squeezing the yellow pellet of coloring into the white margarine. It was illegal in California at that time to sell yellow margarine. But I absolutely loved butter. The only times I got to eat it was when eating out in a restaurant where I'd surreptitiously gather all the little pats left on the table as we left!

Once grown and having a family cow with all the cream I could use, I made my own butter. (Incidentally, sweet cream butter has nothing to do with salted/unsalted. Sweet cream butter is made from fresh cream. Otherwise, cream was left to sour slightly before churning. You can't really do that with pasturized cream which kills off the beneficial bacteria thats lends such a good flavor.) 

I love butter so much that I think I could enjoy a butter sandwich, no, not buttered bread but a thick slab of cold butter. Well, that is a little extreme. But in the comparison 'tween the two, butter wins---hands down!

Dilbert Doe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dilbert Doe Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:23pm
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394 

Butter melts. Margarine don't. If you leave them both out on the counter on a 90 deg day. The butter will be a puddle. The margarine will be standing as tall as ever. The lower melting pt. of butter is what gives it a better mouth feel for baked goods.

The melting point of butter is between 90°F and 95°F (32°C and 35°C).  The melting point of margarine is just slightly warmer, at 94°F to 98°F (34°C to 37°C).

Dilbert Doe Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:26pm
post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394 

Butter melts. Margarine don't. If you leave them both out on the counter on a 90 deg day. The butter will be a puddle. The margarine will be standing as tall as ever. The lower melting pt. of butter is what gives it a better mouth feel for baked goods.

The melting point of butter is between 90°F and 95°F (32°C and 35°C).  The melting point of margarine is just slightly warmer, at 94°F to 98°F (34°C to 37°C).

Dilbert Doe Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:27pm
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394 

The melting point of butter is between 90°F and 95°F (32°C and 35°C).  The melting point of margarine is just slightly warmer, at 94°F to 98°F (34°C to 37°C).

trell59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trell59 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 5:28pm
post #69 of 76

It occurs to me that what ever you grew up with and got used to is what tastes best. I grew up on a farm. Never had margerine in the house until I was like 5 years old and then we no longer had a milk cow. Never tasted store bought milk until then, either. So at first I couldn't stand of the taste of homogenized anything. But I'm so sorry whenever I hear someone who never grew up like this talk about natural, unprocessed things as tasting "vile" or "nasty". Margerine is a man-made substitute for butter. Nothing man-made can really duplicate the taste of something natural exactly, but that was the intention. But it's all a matter of individual preference.

trell59 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 5:35pm
post #70 of 76

Hello Chutzpah!

I love the quotes! Yes, butter is definitely better.............on bread, and to cook with, and to bake with!

trell59 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 5:40pm
post #71 of 76

It is a paradox, isn't it? Growing up poor and raising your own food and eating it probably made you healthier and live longer! 

Linsivvi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linsivvi Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 1:04pm
post #72 of 76

I use both. Real butter on fresh baked bread doesn't get any better. And I only use butter in my icings and cakes. But for cookies, pancakes or waffles I like margarine , for me it tastes better and gives the baked item a subtly more yellow buttery appearance. I grew up with my mom using both. So I guess it is what you're used to. Both will usually work with most recipes so I would suggest trying it both ways. One time use your margarine the next butter. There's really no right or wrong here just what you prefer : )

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 2:11pm
post #73 of 76

I grew up in the country and my family did a little farming.  We did have cows and did make fresh butter. My mom, being a modern cook, always used margarine.  Our house was always full of homemade cookies, cakes and pies and yes, margarine was in every one of them and they were manna from Heaven.  Many years later, I discovered that I actually prefer the taste of butter, salted for eating, unsalted for baking.  In recent years, butter has been proclaimed the healthier of the two.  All that being said, there is little difference (that I can detect) in the baked products using margarine and butter, not in texture or taste.

ChefSaraKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefSaraKay Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 11:44pm
post #74 of 76

Margarine is nothing but chemicals. I don't go anywhere near the stuff if I can avoid it. I understand the appeal of the lower cost. But honestly, if you use high quality ingredients like real butter,  unbleached flours, pure extracts, etc. your customers will be able to taste it in your product. Many of my customers like that I am very transparent about the ingredients I use to bake and decorate. And those who are conscience of what they eat understand that if you use premium ingredients your products might cost more. So if butter goes up, guess what? Your prices should go up. I don't want to sound "uppity" when I say this but, What we do for our customers is a luxury. We provide them with custom goods that are handmade. We have to charge what is fair for our materials cost and our time.  If someone says that your pricing is too high because you are a from scratch bakery that uses real ingredients, there is a Walmart in every town that pumps out 8" double layer cakes for $13 and two tier wedding cakes for $58. There is no way to compete with these prices and the reason they are low is they use very cheap ingredients. So set yourself apart, be the premium baker kissing_heart

Linsivvi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linsivvi Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 12:23pm
post #75 of 76

I guess the next question would be do you store it in the fridge or butter dish

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 1:22pm
post #76 of 76

I agree with chefsarakay. I grew up in a household that used margarine, but I use butter. I fixed dressing for my mother for thanksgiving, which had butter in it, and she said it was much better than her's the only thing I did different was use butter instead of margarine. My most hated thing to hear is:"my mom was the best cook"(when everyone else know she was average like most moms). I don't believe doing things the way my parent's did it, especially when it comes to cooking and baking. We have been warned for years that margarine is not good for us.  Since margarine doesn't need to be refrigerated, it's you choice if you like it cold or not. mandigoldner thank's for sharing that info

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%