I'm So Disappointed In This Cake!

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 1:47am by shalderman

formerbuckeye Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 5

This is the wedding cake I've been planning for months. I'm so frustrated and disappointed with it. First, I couldn't get the tiers level (I need to get a good leveler), then the MMF wouldn't roll out smooth, then the MMF cutouts wouldn't hold their shape. I realize now that I should have made them several hours ahead of time to give them a little time to "firm up" but not get too hard before I tried to put them on the cake. Finally, I worked late into the night which only added to my frustration because I was tired. Many lessons learned with this one. Anyway, I don't know how the bride and groom felt about it. It was delivered by the caterer for the wedding yesterday and I haven't heard anything from the mother of the bride with whom I work. ARGH!!!!!
LL

4 replies
2txmedics Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 5

You know, Im not by all means an expert...but Ive learned from making cakes as a hobby...that a cake that is made with time, care, and love...is worth more than anything.
If our cakes dont come out fantastic...whatever we come out with...its our trademark...cant get that simple b/c icing to be smooth...thats our trade mark...a mark here and there....same for fondant.
You did good, give yourself time...and be happy you were able to accomplish it at all. A cake that is done like yours...show's its not a Masterpiece, but one made from home with great concern.

crystalina1977 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 5

i think the cake looks great..we definitely see all our own imperfections that most people would never notice.

LeanneW Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 5

sometimes I get down on myself when cakes don't trun out like I envisioned. Just remember that a cake is a hand made piece of art, you aren't a machine and so it is appropriate that you can see the handmade quality in your cake.

i love your cake and I am sure the bride and groom did too.

shalderman Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:47am
post #5 of 5

Don't be too hard on yourself! The cake does look nice - I do love the design. The issue with the MMF not holding up for the cut outs is one of the reasons I left MMF in the dust and now use Michelle Foster's fondant (in the recipes section). I had too many times when MMF would be all stretchy and not hold its shape for accents on the cake. I have never had that problem with Michelle's recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%