Help Please? : }

Decorating By Spoiledrot88 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 12:50am by tracey1970

Spoiledrot88 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!
Im kind've new around here, and I am going to be doing a cake decorating class in a couple of weeks. On the Syllabus, it says to bring icing for lesson one. Then it has instructions, that are fairly vauge, and it says to have
"1/2 cup THIN consistency icing
1 1/2 cups MEDIUM consistency icing
1/2 cup MEDIUM consistency icing with 1/4 tsp. piping gel added
1/2 cup STiFF consistency icing."

I dont know what any of that means. I thought frosting was just frosting...

Im just taking the course, because i wanted to airbrush the cakes, and in order to get a job around my town, we have to know how to do everything, not just airbrushing...

and also, what should i do if i dont an electric mixer? Because it seems like i need one of those for making frosting

4 replies
butterflywings Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 5

If you're taking Wilton court I, you don't need to bring anything to the first class. If it's not Wilton, I'd just call the instructor and ask for her assistance.

JoAnnB Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 5

We did need icing the first night. Make one recipe of the icing. Then separate it into the four parts. The icing needs bit of piping gel to make roses easy. And the 'thin' icings are for other piping. However, if you just make the stiff recipe, divide it as instructed and take a stirring spatula, you can thin it in class, with the instructor showing how to thin it to the right consistancy.

Also, take a bit of sifted powdered sugar, in case your icing is too thin. Be prepared, but remember, it is only icing and shouldn't be a huge deal. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiledrot88

Hi!
Im kind've new around here, and I am going to be doing a cake decorating class in a couple of weeks. On the Syllabus, it says to bring icing for lesson one. Then it has instructions, that are fairly vauge, and it says to have
"1/2 cup THIN consistency icing
1 1/2 cups MEDIUM consistency icing
1/2 cup MEDIUM consistency icing with 1/4 tsp. piping gel added
1/2 cup STiFF consistency icing."

I dont know what any of that means. I thought frosting was just frosting...

Im just taking the course, because i wanted to airbrush the cakes, and in order to get a job around my town, we have to know how to do everything, not just airbrushing...

and also, what should i do if i dont an electric mixer? Because it seems like i need one of those for making frosting

Your best bet is to get in touch with the instructor and find out what's needed.

tracey1970 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #5 of 5

Sounds like Wilton instructions to me - ? If that's the case, you can find the directions for this icing on the Wilton website, and I believe it will even tell you the different quantities of liquid you must add to get the different consistencies of icing. It should be under Recipes on their site, under basic icing probably.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%