Got Pictures?

Decorating By playingwithsugar Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm by playingwithsugar

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 10

Hey, Everyone!

A good friend of mine just asked me to do her 50th birthday cake. She offered to pay, but I gave her the Duff - I'll do it as your gift, but I pick the style.

I let her pick the flowers and the colors, that's it. She would like yellow and red roses, or a combination of red and yellow. I thought, since she will be 50, and the 50th anniversary is the golden anniversary, I would go with gold and red instead. She's thinking sheet cake - I'm doing a 3-tier stack.

Does anyone have any photos of any of the above combinations which they can share with me? If you don't want to post them here, you can send them via PM, or through the e-mail link in my profile.

Thanks so much!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Cakerer Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 10

How about a topsy turvey cake with ribbon roses of both colors? Sorry - I don't really have any examples - maybe this will give you a bump.

Amia Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 10

I LOVE this cake:

Maybe you could do the accents in red and do ribbon roses instead of the beads or add them to the topper?!

wgoat5 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 10

Hey Theresa icon_smile.gif ... I have had this cake made by Cakery saved for a long time... it might be a little tooooo gold but you get the drift... minus the mask it is a perfect golden cake icon_smile.gif

you could pull this off and make it grande icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks, All!

Christi -

The border on the bottom got me thinking of a rope border, which got me thinking of a basketweave, which then took me to a couple of different rose basket ideas.

Hu-m-m, tune in later!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 10

I can't wait to see it!!!!!!!!!!!

dawncr Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 10

Sounds like you already have an idea. But, if that changes, and if you haven't seen this cake by Nunuk......

Be sure to post a picture!

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:01am
post #8 of 10

That's actually what I had in mind! Just with her roses.

I think I will try using rosewater to make the gumpaste, and see if it keeps the scent after it dries. Ooh, wouldn't that be cool? Maybe get some rose essential oil, at the craft store, and add a drop or two. You have to grease it anyway, before you wrap it, so why not oil it instead?

Tune in next week for Experimental Sugar Art! icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:05am
post #9 of 10

It works to make the gumpaste with rosewater. It might even be a little strong, at least while you're working on it. You might not even need the rose oil.

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 10

Cool! Do you know if the fragrance lasts, or does it wick away as the flowers are exposed to air?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%