How Do I Fix The Bulging On Side Of Cake?

Decorating By b777fan Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 6:07am by YAYI95

b777fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b777fan Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

I have a wedding cake coming up in a couple of months, and it will be BC on the outside with raspberry filling. On my cakes with filling, I use a bead of BC on the edge in between the layers to dam the icing. I use a mixture of the Viva towel technique and the hot knife to smooth my icing, but the past few cakes I have done had a noticeable bulge where the layer divisions are. I was just wondering if anyone had an easy fix for this. I have even used more icing on the sides, but that bulge is still apparent. I just don't want this to happen with the wedding cake, so any advice is greatly appreciated. I didn't always have this problem, so I am wondering if it may be the modified Crisco.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 8

Your dam is not stiff enough. Add more powdered sugar to it. Sugarshack says it should almost be thick enough to roll into a ball. I find it pretty hard to squeeze out of the icing bag. You shouldn't have any problems if you just thicken it up a bit!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 8

also make sure you're not over filling it. If the filling passes the dam that's when you get the bulge.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 8

thick thick icing or the dam like mindy said!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 8

Also after you fill your cake you want to crumb coat it and let it sit for a few hours for it to settle. Once it has settled, if there is a bludge you can smooth it out before you ice the cake.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #6 of 8

Following Sharon's instructions, I make my icing for the dam very thick. In fact, I can almost knead it. Never had a bulge.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:54am
post #7 of 8

Just wanted to share what I do that seems to work. In addition to the very stiff dam that SugarShack does, I make "cake spackle" as mentioned in a Toba Garrett book.
I put the spackle on the outer sides of the cake and it gives it a nice firm smooth foundation once it kind of crusts.
This is what I do in leiu (sp?) of sugarshack's method of trimming the sides perfectly even. I'm too lazy for that.
Cake spackle is just frosting mixed with cake crumbs till thick but spreadable.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:07am
post #8 of 8

i use a dam of thick icing and let it settle a few hrs or overnight than come back and smooth the sides again if any bulging has occured...got that from sugar shack and it helps alot..hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%