My Icing Melted.........

Decorating By TheCakeShak Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 8:07am by sarahnichole975

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 9

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Drat the luck!!!
I made some double chocolate cupcakes ( I was trying to make them look like sunflowers).. The cupcakes turned out great!! The crushed oreo's great!!
The icing,,, it melted!! icon_cry.gif
The cupcakes were cooled completely before I put the icing petals on and by the time I got to the last sunflower petals, it was all smmoooshy!! icon_mad.gif

Thank goodness I was just experimenting with these cupcakes... Anyway,
the whole batch of cupcakes went to our employees who love the cupcakes anyway...
I just can't figure what went wrong with this batch? All ingredients were fresh, you know,, not expired etc..

8 replies
danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #2 of 9

What kind of icing was it?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:53am
post #3 of 9

How hot is it where you are located? What type of icing was it (ingredients)?

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:16am
post #4 of 9

I used the same home made batch of icing I always do, you know with the confect's sugar, crisco(it was a fresh stick).
And yes it's been very very warm over here. And I had the AC on all day too.
Any other ideas would be most helpful.........

Thanks.........

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:38am
post #5 of 9

Meeeee tooooo, and my filling has been leaking out on the sides of my cake through my icing. Maybe I'm filling my cake too much??? It was a whipped oreo cookie filling recipe I got here. It's been warm over here too.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:10am
post #6 of 9

I did an outdoor wedding just yesterday with Triple Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream in Sunny So Cal yesterday and my BC didn't melt in 90+degree heat. I just threw out the remaining icing today that had been sitting out since Thursday evening and it was still good and it was in my kitchen here in the desert where today it was 110 degrees! I just tossed it because it was only about 1/2 cup left.

Try the recipe I PM'd you!!

_ruby_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ruby_ Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:41am
post #7 of 9

Whoa!That's amazing! Could I have the recipe?

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:59am
post #8 of 9

Is the humidity high where you are? I'm in Iowa, and we go from really dry winters to really humid summers. It really messes with the icing. After having the icing slide off all four tiers of a wedding cake, I started to experiment. It rained that wedding weekend, and I figured out that not heat, but humidity is what makes my icing turn to mush. In the winter, it works fine, but the air here is really dry. In the summer it's always humid, and especially right before or after a rainstorm, I have to add powdered sugar to each batch--sometimes as much as a cup and a half--to make it the right consistency. I have not had a problem since.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:07am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

Is the humidity high where you are? I'm in Iowa, and we go from really dry winters to really humid summers. It really messes with the icing. After having the icing slide off all four tiers of a wedding cake, I started to experiment. It rained that wedding weekend, and I figured out that not heat, but humidity is what makes my icing turn to mush. In the winter, it works fine, but the air here is really dry. In the summer it's always humid, and especially right before or after a rainstorm, I have to add powdered sugar to each batch--sometimes as much as a cup and a half--to make it the right consistency. I have not had a problem since.

OH YES!!! I completely agree. I'm down in the armpit of the world in south louisiana. We have unbelievable humidity. The kind where you just don't want to go out side at all. If you do, don't bother with hair and make-up, it won't last. I too find that on the really hot muggy days, my icing gives me FITS!!! My AC went out this weekend, so I really had a rough time. I had two window units I use for an extra boost in the summer, but still!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%