Black, No Chocolate?

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm by tchrmom

CakesbyBecca Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a birthday cake for my MIL who LOVES scotties. I want to make a 3-D scottie cake, but she's allergic to chocolate. Is there a way to get black buttercream without starting with chocolate? She requested a specific Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe that she loves.
Thanks for your help!

Becca

5 replies
Gefion Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure you can color SMBC that dark - it usually takes light colors best. But (american) black buttercream without chocolate is not impossible, just cream a few tbsp Americolor Super Black with the fat, before adding powdered sugar.

Cake_Princess Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyBecca

I'm making a birthday cake for my MIL who LOVES scotties. I want to make a 3-D scottie cake, but she's allergic to chocolate. Is there a way to get black buttercream without starting with chocolate? She requested a specific Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe that she loves.
Thanks for your help!

Becca

Using lots of black gel paste in your icing?

Or you could try airbrushing it.

tchrmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #4 of 6

Americolor is the best. I never heard of putting in the Crisco before adding powdered sugar. I will try that next time. I have always colored mine after the frosting was made. It takes a LOT, but it will get black. The other thing to remember is that it will look even carker after it crusts.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 6

I LOVE Chefmaster colors in the black and the red... you can get dark colors with little coloring icon_smile.gif

tchrmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 6

Great another good brand idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%