My Dd Wants An Ugly Cake!!

Decorating By 4laynes Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm by pinktea

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 23

I was tickled to death when she said she wanted a topsy-turvy cake for her birthday Friday. I sketched one out on paper, gave her colored pencils and asked her to design it. thumbs_up.gif

Are you sitting down? Yes? Colors are red, white, black and silver. Three tier cake covered in white fondant. Bottom tier red, black and silver stars, middle tier black and red diamonds and top tier red, black and silver hearts. Big red fondant bow on top with beads on wires comming out like fireworks! icon_surprised.gif Yuck!!!

Any tips on coloring fondant red, black and silver?

22 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 23

I think you should just purchase the red and black fondant, and I would just paint white fondant with silver luster dust for the silver... icon_smile.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 23

but I kind of think that would make an awesome cake. I think that once you put it together its going to look great. Your daughter has great taste. It could have been orange, pink, green, black and brown. Now thats ugly.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 23

I've seen cakes on here with similar color schemes and designs. This is what I'm picturing from your description:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1044403
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1180101

Maybe her drawing is totally different than those, but I actually think that her design sounds pretty. icon_confused.gif

My cousin drew me a pic of what she wanted for her birthday and I was a little confused when I saw it. It's the big pink and blue butterfly in my pics. I'm not sure where she saw a butterfly with gimp wings, but I did my best and I thought the outcome was pretty cute. I'm sure you'll make this a beautiful cake...just take a little creative license when recreating her design. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 23

Sounds excellent to me! Great color combo!! Definitely buy the pre-colored Satin Ice.

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 23

All of those colors together are gorgeous....red, black & white were my school colors & they really look so outstanding together...silver is just the "icing on the cake" as far as my opinion goes. I even think her design sounds fun & very appealing to the eyes.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 23

It sounds real cute!! I made my then 14-yo DS his cake - it's the black cake with the gruesome skull in my photos. I told him it was ugly and that I didn't like having to make it. He and his friends thought it was super cool. Guess that's what matters...

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 23

Sounds kinda cool to me! I keep picturing an Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts theme. I agree with the others who mentioned buying colored fondant. I've done black and red and its NOT FUN. icon_razz.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 23

love the colors and the concept.

a very classic harlequin combo.

it's going to be stunning

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #10 of 23

I did a red, black and white topsy turvy cake last summer. I think those are great colors together, and I can see the silver only accenting it.

4laynes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:00am
post #11 of 23

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. The shock is over and it's growing on me now. I'm getting excited about it! thumbs_up.gif
I'll definitely check into red and black fondant. There's only one place that sells cake supplies (other than Hobby Lobby and Michael's) in my area. I hope they have something in stock, no time to order it now.

3 questions......

1. How many recipes of MMF do I need to cover a 10/8/6, each approx 4" high?

2. How do I put beads on wire?

3. The diamond pattern - do I just cut them out with cutters and smack 'em on with gumpaste glue? How do I get it to match up even in the back?

Oh, now she wants a few butterflies on it too. I'm just smilin' and noddin'!

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #12 of 23

I think that color combination is great as well! I guess the only trouble you may have there is if everyone coming to her party is a Tennessee fan...since those are Georgia colors... thumbs_up.gif

And I agree that it would definitely be much better to purchase pre-colored fondant. It will save you a lot of time!

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4laynes

Oh, now she wants a few butterflies on it too. I'm just smilin' and noddin'!

Sometimes as mothers, all we can do is "smile and nod", good for you for encouraging her to design her cake! I'm sure it will be great!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #14 of 23

Ok. I don't have my book in front of me, but each "recipe" of MMF makes about 3 lbs of fondant. That's about 48 oz. Let me get my book....

10" round 4" tall 36 oz
8" round 4" tall 24 oz
6" round 4" tall 18 oz.

so about 4 recipes.

BUT Michele Foster's makes over 4 lbs, or just over 64 oz. so 2 recipes of that. And it's super yummo.

HTH

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4laynes

I was tickled to death when she said she wanted a topsy-turvy cake for her birthday Friday. I sketched one out on paper, gave her colored pencils and asked her to design it. thumbs_up.gif

Are you sitting down? Yes? Colors are red, white, black and silver. Three tier cake covered in white fondant. Bottom tier red, black and silver stars, middle tier black and red diamonds and top tier red, black and silver hearts. Big red fondant bow on top with beads on wires comming out like fireworks! icon_surprised.gif Yuck!!!

Any tips on coloring fondant red, black and silver?

The color scheme would work. Her design actually sounds pretty cool. I do understand what you mean though, it does have a potential to be yucky if it's not executed properly.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #16 of 23

From someone who is currently planning her wedding and using those exact colors I think it will be great as long as you don't go overkill with the decorations...

I think the color combo is wonderful, can you scan the pic she colored so we can see her idea?

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #17 of 23

Teens don't want the same old same old they want different and cool. I thinks it sound great.

4laynes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

can you scan the pic she colored so we can see her idea?

I tried and it won't work. I always have trouble with scanned pictures. icon_rolleyes.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #19 of 23

So how did it look?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 23

What!!! You don't like that color scheme? Red, white, and black is as classic a color scheme you can get. I've always wanted a piano room done in those colors. Black carpet, red walls, white baby grand, french doors. sigh..... Ok, I digress.. Anyway, your daughter definitely has classic taste. And some silver for sparkle. Gorgeous!

nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #21 of 23

Haha. Honestly, that sounds almost exactly like my wedding cake. Our colors were black and white with red accent (I love red roses) and I wanted our cake to be whimsical. I would love to do this cake!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:09pm
post #22 of 23

Oooh. It will be beautiful!

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #23 of 23

My teenage son's entire wardrobe is based on those colors, including shoes. I think it is very hot with the younger set because all his friends dress the same way?

Please post a picture after it's done. I am sure it is going to look fantastic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%