Royal Icing Help!! Please!!!

Decorating By scotiascrapper Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm by BREN28

scotiascrapper Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 7

I'm taking Wilton Course 2 right now and this week is the last class. I am trying to get ready for the grand finale cake and was planning on doing all my flowers this weekend....

My problem is that I can't seem to get my royal icing right....I've tried the Wilton recipe, Antonia74's recipe and a bizarre recipe from Bulk Barn that the instructor gave us.....while the icing is beautiful and the recipes all say they are for stiff consistency , I can't make a flower at all with any of them!! They are way to soft. I've tried adding more PS but it still doesn't seem right. Does anyone have any suggestions before I lose my mind????

6 replies
federica Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 7

To make a great royal icing I use a recipe taught me by my pastry chef teacher: you have to use a food processor to whisk perfectly the egg whites, 100g, then when they are firm, you add 300g of icing sugar while whisking, (it'll take at least 15 minutes). I tried another recipes which is a little bit longer, but the royal icing that I got was perfect and it turned perfectly hard in a night, plus you avoid the risk of salmonella by cooking the egg whites. The recipe is pretty much the same, (beat 100g of egg whites then add 200g of icing sugar), but you have to add a sugar syrup while wh thumbs_up.gif isking the egg whites (I make the sugar syrup putting 100g of caster sugar with a bit of water, enough to cover the sugar, in a pan, then let it boiling until it reaches 120°C and it's ready), then whisk until it cools. You should be able to pipe perfect flowers with the royal icing, I did, I even made a christmas village over the top of a cake with this recipe and it turned awesome!!

emrldsky Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 7

How humid is your house? I had to make DH turn the AC up (down, whatever) to 72...it was at 76. Once it cooled off a bit, I had better results.

CreativeGirl220 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 7

The first time I made royal icing, it did not come out right at all. My teacher told me to put more powdered sugar in it. It worked but I found out what my mistake was when I made it the second time on my own at home. The key to making good royal icing is to mix it for at least 12 minutes and nothing less and this is using the wilton royal icing recipe.

ALVARGA Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 7

I agree, to get good royal icing you need plenty of powdered sugar and beat it at the very least a full 5 minutes. I set the timer and let the mixer go while I go about my business. Perfect every time!!!

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 7

Everyone is adding an acid, right? RI needs acid. Lemon juice will work as will a drop of acetic acid. Since lemon juice is more common that's easier. The acid reacts with the egg whites to "tighten" your RI. Just 2-3 drops of lemon juice in a small sized batch.

BREN28 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 7

same thing happened to me first time making RI. all my flowers were "melting", because my icing was to soft. the second time i tried it,the only thing i did different was soak everything i was going to use to make it with(mixing bowl,spoon,ect.), with boiling water to to make sure it was "grease free", and it came out great. i dont know if that was the reason,but it did work the second time with out changing anything else. i didnt know that about the lemon juice, leahs, ive got to remember that! thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%