"eggy" Eggs

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm by BigTexinWV

mom42ws Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:08am
post #1 of 11

do some eggs smell more "eggy" than others? could it be the brand or does it mean they are bad? i purchased some eggs thursday from walmart and began baking with them yesterday and noticed they smelled "eggy". not a bad smell but, like my husband said, they smelled souffle-like. does anyone have any insight about this? the cake tastes fine but i'm just wondering if it's the brand (not the one i usually use).

10 replies
Mike1394 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:19am
post #2 of 11

Probably can be traced to what the chicken was fed. Do a google for chicken feed. You'll be suprised at what is there.

mom42ws Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:26am
post #3 of 11

okay, i'll have to check that out when i've got more time. thanks mike.

staten93 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 11

This is actually something I have a bit of insight on. Mike is right-sometimes what the chicken is fed can change how the egg smells or looks. Also the bred of the chicken and the size of the egg can make it smell different. Free range chickens shells are harder and the color of the yolk is much darker. The first time I had to buy eggs from the store I busted the egg everywhere when I went to crack it. My chickens eggs shells were much, much stronger and I hit the egg on the side of the bowl like I would have mine. There is one store in my area that I won't buy eggs from because half the time I am in there their refrigeration unit where the eggs are stored doesn't keep them cold enough. Eggs are pretty amazing and last for a long time. Just make sure to check the date on the carton. Also remember you lose quality on an egg the longer it is stored. The proteins start to break down which makes the white runny and gives the yolk a puckered look. A good egg will always hold it's form when you crack it and put it in a pan. Yes, I know way to much information. icon_biggrin.gif Hope this answers your question.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 11

Fwiw--boiled fresh eggs cannot be shelled smoothly--they just chibble and stick like crazy to the shell. Older eggs that are boiled shell easier.

Staten93 is that correct information?

mom42ws Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 11

hmm, thanks for the insight. the date of the eggs is in a couple of weeks; is that too soon? surely if they were bad by their expiration date, they wouldn't have been given that date? i don't know. i'm not going to buy them again and i think i'm going to toss the rest of them.

staten93 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 11

That's correct. Really fresh eggs are harder to shell. It's also easiest to shell eggs that are cold. I raised chickens and did 4-H for years that's why I have all this strange info. icon_smile.gif Chickens are easy to raise, not if you ask my sisters though. They both can't stand them. As far as the date they should be fine. I also side on the error of caution though and would probably through them out if they smelled funny to me though. Food poisoning is no fun.

mom42ws Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 11

they only smelled strange after they were baked. what do you think that's about?

staten93 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 11

Wow that's interesting. You can put the egg-uncooked into water and if it floats you know it is bad. If it bobs near the bottom it's okay though. If your recipe has a lot of baking soda or vinegar in it that can sometimes make a egg get a more sulfery(sp) smell to it. It is interesting that it smelled bad after you cooked it. I would probably just get rid of the rest of the eggs that came in the carton and call it good. Sorry I can't be much more help.

MaisieBake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 11

If they smelled okay out of the shell they were safe to use. Bad eggs smell like the stuff you use to perm or straighten your hair. It's a really unpleasant smell and it's impossible to miss.

Easiest way to check for bad eggs is to stick them (still in shells) in a bowl of ice water. Anything that bobbles up and down, throw out very carefully.

BigTexinWV Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 11

Eggs don't need to be to be in the fridge. We keep ours in a basket next to the fridge. They are okay as long as you use them quickly. We eat about 18 eggs a week so it is no problem for my family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%