Question For Alpine Users...

Decorating By eneq Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 2:26am by eneq

eneq Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:00am
post #1 of 7

i just bought some alpine shortening and was soooo excited until i made my frosting. The icing was filled with air bubbles and just got airier the longer i beat it. Using a classic buttercream recipe with just the shortening, ps, liquid, and flavoring (something like sugarshack's ...., have any of you had a problem with alpine?

The alpine shortening i have is not as creamy or white compared to sweetex or even crisco. It kinda breaks up when i scoop it out instead of forming a solid mass. Is this what alpine normally feels like? Please help....just wondering if i got a bad batch. TIA

6 replies
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:36am
post #2 of 7

Your Alpine sounds odd. I've been using it for years and it's always soft and creamy. Did you use the whip or the paddle to mix?

grama_j Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:53am
post #3 of 7

I just tried Alpine for the first time, and I LOVE it.... I didn't have any of the problems that you did..... Is it possible to get a dud ? I only wish I could afford to use it all the time.. icon_cry.gif

fat-sissy Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 7

I use Alpine too and love it. I use the Brite White Buttercream recipe from here on CC.
Here's a link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2375-0-Brite-White-Buttercream-Icing.html
My Alpine is always very white in color and creamy. But compared to Crisco it is slightly firmer. I've never used Sweetex, so I can't offer any comparison there.

eneq Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #5 of 7

thanks everyone for your input. i think i may have gotten a bad batch then icon_confused.gif . it definitely is not creamy white. i looks more like something that melted then firmed back up. hmmmm..... maybe that's what happened.

leah- i use the paddle to mix my icing. i even mixed it at medium low.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneq

i use the paddle to mix my icing. i even mixed it at medium low.

That's certainly the right way to do it. I'm with you - I think you got a bad batch.

eneq Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #7 of 7

thanks leah, you are such a great help! i think i will take that box back. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%