Awe C'mon.... I Need A Little Love Here

Decorating By cdavis Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm by bakincakin

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:56am
post #1 of 37

I've been posting pictures like crazy and it seems like my pictures get just a couple of minutes on the home page and then they are gone. I take time to look and comment on other peoples cakes, are mine really that bad?????

I really thought my laptop cake would get more than one comment. I know everybody is busy and none of us surf this site just to comment on pictures but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me.

Thanks for reading, guess I'm just tired.

36 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #2 of 37

I am new, and still trying to get through the galleries as I can (and I keep losing HOURS drooling over pics!)
I try to comment as often as possible, and I am sure others do too.
I have finally noticed the home page a bit more (I was jumping straight to forums) and try to catch new pics as they come up.
There are so many loaded each day none spend more than a short time on the front.

Not that I have any of my good pics up yet, but I would just be happy seeing that it was being viewed, even in passing.
If you are looking for specific feedback, it has been suggested to post about it with the embedded pics or a link, and ask that way, to ensure you get the feedback you are looking for.

I will go look at yours now! icon_biggrin.gif

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:09am
post #3 of 37

Your cakes are amazing! I love the family tree cake. And your lap top cake looked so real.

I know what you mean though, I didn't even see my newest cake on the homepage. However, it wasn't that great so no worries.

Great job on the cakes! Have a great day!

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:10am
post #4 of 37

I just looked at your pics. you are so talented.
have confidence.

cdavis Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:31am
post #5 of 37

Thanks guys, I have confidence, and I fully understand how this site works, but I'm sure a lot of you know that not everybody does what we do. Normal people don't understand that fondant doesn't just happen .....
Every cake I do is a personal challenge I issue to myself to do something I've never done before, in a way I've never done it.
I just wanted some solid feed back from people who understand the elements we all work with.
Thanks again.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:34am
post #6 of 37

I know it's such a bummer, I'm always checking the homepage but i miss loads!!
I have just added a topic to the suggestions forum and I think you guys will agree if you'd like to vote, perhaps we can change it!Link:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593115.html

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:13am
post #7 of 37

Have you seen NEWBIES* COMMENTS ON CAKES- PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST!!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-423993-.html

HTH

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:23am
post #8 of 37

The laptop cake is cool. I love the idea of the post it notes.

Mike

cdavis Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 37

Thanks guys for the support. JanH, I've read that topic and it says "If you need help or want opinions on a cake, just ask and I guarantee you that the members will be right there to help if they can..we are a very nice bunch of decorators."

Seems to me like it's okay to ask for some feedback which is what I did. I hope that you don't know that using all caps in a post is the equivalent of yelling. If you do know that, I'm disappointed that you feel that you needed to yell in your response to me. icon_sad.gif

I'll be more specific the next time I ask for feedback. tapedshut.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 37

cdavis, I don't think JanH was yelling at you. The thread she referenced is typed exactly as she did it here. She was likely just making sure she had it exact so you could find if you hadn't yet read the thread. JanH is known for being extremely helpful in these forums. icon_smile.gif

I know how you feel about wanting your cakes noticed though!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

I hope that you don't know that using all caps in a post is the equivalent of yelling. If you do know that, I'm disappointed that you feel that you needed to yell in your response to me. icon_sad.gif

The referenced post was authored by CC moderator stephanie214. icon_smile.gif

If you have issues with her using all caps for an important sticky; I suggest you address your concerns directly to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

JanH is known for being extremely helpful in these forums. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the positive feedback!. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

cdavis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 37

I've already stated that I've read the post....
I haven't done anything I wasn't supposed to do.....
Caps indicate yelling no matter who does it ......
I don't see anything helpful about your response.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 37

Shola, I voted YES....great idea!! I must say that I don't feel my stuff gets looked at very long either. Mine might only be a Black Forest cake, but I think it's a pretty one...already feel small in comparison to you fondant queens!! icon_wink.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:

I agree. You did nothing wrong and it did appear that you were being yelled at in the post.

I also looked at your cakes. They look great to me. I love the screen and the post-it notes.

Please don't take it hard if your cakes are not noticed right away. There is so much to see on this site that it is really difficult to see all of the wonderful work.

Michele

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 37

Hey Cindy,
At least your cakes MAKE it to the homepage, haha. I just did a really colorful topsy-turvy one that I thought for sure would be there - nope... icon_sad.gif

Keep on cakin'!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:

Um, I think maybe you're reading a little more into JanH's posts than is there!

I don't think anyone was saying you did anything wrong. Nor do I think that JanH was out of line in copying the text exactly as it was written in the thread title. (It's a lot easier to copy/paste than it is to type it again!)

Her second response was just to explain why the text was in caps--that she copied it as it was created by the moderator. Her explanation wasn't to say that she thinks you didn't read the post--it was to say why she posted in caps, because you took exception to it.

IMHO, the best approach to take when communicating online is to start by assuming that people are trying to be helpful. It also helps to remember that there are very few absolutes when it comes to communication.

While you say that caps always indicates yelling, no matter who does it, that doesn't necessarily make it true. I have seen people use caps for emphasis and even because the caps lock on their keyboard was stuck. If I were to take offense just because somebody didn't follow a convention that I thought was universal, I'd spend a lot of my time irritated and out of sorts.

So, in conclusion, can't we all just play together nicely? thumbs_up.gif

cdavis Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 37

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:

tapedshut.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #19 of 37

I try & look at the latest uploads every day, I still miss some, I thought my' bowl of fruit' cake was one of my best, the bowl & each little fruit in it took a lot of patience, but it hardly got noticed. However, I, knowing how many I miss out on, know that this can happen a lot. Your lap top is a great cake, you did a very good job, I think you do a great job on all your cakes.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #20 of 37

I love commenting on cakes, and I love to get comments also, but I also understand the exremely high volume of cakes uploaded daily. There are just so many of us talented CCers out there. I will try to comment on cakes daily. icon_biggrin.gif I love you guys and I am in awe at the talent of all of you! icon_wink.gif

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #21 of 37

I just think there are many members on this site and even more cakes. Many simply get overlooked. Just the way it is. I wish more of my cakes were noticed and commented on as well, but we can't make people look at our cakes.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #22 of 37

Whoa.. Jan is nothing but helpful here in the forums.. she is always quick with a response full of helpful links from here and other places. You're new so maybe you haven't noticed that yet, but don't be so quick to assume someone is being flippant with you. She simply copied and pasted the text from the title of the post she was referencing. Since you read the post.. you should have seen that.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #23 of 37

And as far as I know, everyone's cake is on the homepage for a brief moment when it's posted.. you can miss it, but it is always there in the newest uploads so don't think you are being overlooked if you miss it.

icon_biggrin.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #24 of 37

I am a big fan of JanH's.

She is always very helpful. I am still trying to figure out how she remember's all of the various post that she always has a link to???? icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif

I have a bad habit of typing in caps. I always leave the CAPS lock on and I am a fast but lazy typer.

Once I am done I usually relize that I am in CAPS and I am afraid to re-type. I have a habit of dragging my thumbs when I type on my laptop and forever moving my cursor.

I am not a yeller except with my kid icon_biggrin.gif .

JMHO

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #25 of 37

I am a big fan of JanH's.

She is always very helpful. I am still trying to figure out how she remember's all of the various post that she always has a link to???? icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif

I have a bad habit of typing in caps. I always leave the CAPS lock on and I am a fast but lazy typer.

Once I am done I usually relize that I am in CAPS and I am afraid to re-type. I have a habit of dragging my thumbs when I type on my laptop and forever moving my cursor.

I am not a yeller except with my kid icon_biggrin.gif .

JMHO

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:

I've been posting pictures like crazy and it seems like my pictures get just a couple of minutes on the home page and then they are gone. I take time to look and comment on other peoples cakes, are mine really that bad?????

I really thought my laptop cake would get more than one comment. I know everybody is busy and none of us surf this site just to comment on pictures but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me.

Thanks for reading, guess I'm just tired.

There are so many users here anymore...I've had several cakes of mine that I really personally liked alot but that didn't really get viewed much at all. But hey my customers are happy and that's what counts!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:

Seems to me like it's okay to ask for some feedback which is what I did. I hope that you don't know that using all caps in a post is the equivalent of yelling. If you do know that, I'm disappointed that you feel that you needed to yell in your response to me. icon_sad.gif

I think it was in caps to direct you to the sticky. THE STICKY IS IN CAPS icon_lol.gif

Please understand that the CAPS I just used wasn't yelling-I am totally joking with you. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Lighten up! A 3 day weekend is coming!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #28 of 37

I'M SORRY BUT I CAP BECAUSE I CANT SEE VERY GOOD..HOPE I HAVENT EVER STEPPED ON ANYONES TOES IF SO I'M VERY SORRY...BUT JANH HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL TO US ALL..I WOULD NEVER HURT ANYONE ON PURPOSE NOR DO I THINK ANYONE HERE WOULD..

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #29 of 37

Your cakes look great. I agree with a lot of the previous posters that with so many new members to CC uploading so many cakes, none of the cakes can stay on the home page for more than a couple of minutes.

I have found that I usually receive as many comments within six months after posting a cake as I do the first day. Fellow CCer's will be searching for a specific idea or color scheme and run across one of your cakes and when they realize what a great job you did -- they will send you a compliment and comment.

However --- JanH is the tops in my book! She was only trying to help and point you in the right direction. I refer to JanH as the walking encyclopedia of CC and her memory will top any computer chip! I have never, ever seen JanH make a rude or misleading comment -- you totally took it out of the context that it was so kindly given.

As my DH constantly tells me (over and over again) patience is a virtue!! If you post a great cake -- the comments will come.

Suze

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #30 of 37

I also think JanH is wonderful, she is always so helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%