Pricing Problem....again

Decorating By nicksmom Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 3:42am by nicksmom

nicksmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 5

yes I know this question gets old, but it helps everytime icon_smile.gif If I normally charge $3.25 for my wedding cakes w/BC and (I used boxed mix),how should I charge for a wedding cake from scratch(this recipe calls fpr cake flour ,heavy cream and its red velvet to boot with strawberry mouse filling AND fresh stawberries)plus this cake is to be all fondant with fonant accents icon_rolleyes.gif SO....any pricing suggestings would be a world of help,or should I just stick to my 3.25. this also is for a friend and I don't want to rob her!!!!!!!!!! HELP please birthday.gif

4 replies
brogi2baker Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:43am
post #2 of 5

how did you come up with the 3.25, did you figure out how much it cost you to make the cake, then add in what you wanted to earn? If so I would figure out the difference from the cost of scratch, then add in what you want to earn, cost of fondant, etc...

My scratch cakes cost at least 3x what a doctored mix costs me to make, plus the fancy filling, berries, and fondant. I dont know if this helps, but my base price for scratch buttercream cakes with a basic filling is $3, I charge $1 more per serving for fondant, and would charge $1 for the filling and berries. so that would put me up to around $5 per serving, but that is with no fancy decorating. I add more for that depending on sugar flowers and time.

Since your prices are a bit higher than me to start with using a box mix, if I were you I would charge around $7-8 a serving for simple decoration, but if you have not already, you should figure out your costs, so you dont lose money on this cake!

Hope this helps, it is late and Im tired...probably not making sense, sorry.

nicksmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 5

thats a help,I guess I'll have to think hard on this one.this cake is suposed to be a three tier cake to serve 75 people so I'm just afraid like 450-500$ would be over charging,however there is lots of work on it,gosh I hate this part of the biz!!!!!!!

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 5

First, you cant look at the grand total price and think "wow....just for a cake?????" because then you're thinking like cake civilian, and that's not what you are.

The grand total price represents not the cake ... which is the cheapest part of this equation.... but the price to be paid for your time, talent and experience to create this sugary work of art.

Definitely charge extra for the berries.

nicksmom Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #5 of 5

that is a good way to look at it because I always think wow for a cake,I can't charge that!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%