Do You Have A Good Summer Cake Recipe?

Decorating By bafishr Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm by Tona

bafishr  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #1 of 13

I would like to make a cake that is not too heavy for the 4th, although I love chocolate I would like something with a lighter texture. Does anyone have a good recipe they would be willing to share? Something that can handle fondant. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
 indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 13

ok, I didn't know cake was seasonal! I don't care what time of year it is, I still want my same 'ole favorite cake flavor! thumbs_up.gif

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:53am
post #3 of 13

indydebi, you're too funny. I just wanted something a little lighter tasting,
plus all the cakes I've been making are chocolate and I need some variety.

sadiepix  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 13

Don't know how crazy you wanna get, as there are always standbys like lemon etc. but maybe something exotic like a saffron cake?
Maybe a light cocoa with chili?
Margarita?
Lavender?
Ginger?

lorijom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:18am
post #5 of 13

My number one requested cake during the summer is lemon cake with mixed berry or raspberry chambourd filling. I also add lemon oil to my fondant.

bwonderful  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:25am
post #6 of 13

did someone say margarita cake? I'm there icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:28am
post #7 of 13

Lemon cake with blueberry or raspberry filling. Or if you really like lemon, lemon cake with lemon curd.

White cake with lemon or lime curd.

Orange cake with a vanila filling and icing (think dreamsicle.)

Pineapple cake with coconut filling or vice versa.

Strawberry cake.

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:30am
post #8 of 13

sadiepix, thanks for the suggestion. I found a margarita recipe on recipezaar that sounds great. Plus I already have the Tequila icon_wink.gif

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:40am
post #9 of 13

lorijom, how do you make raspberry chambourd? I've made Merissa's raspberry filling. Could you pm the directions to me?

TexasSugar, is the lemon cake w/raspberry as good as it is with chocolate cake?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll be making cake just to try something new thumbs_up.gif

thedessertdiva  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:52am
post #10 of 13

My favorite cake durring the warm months is french vanilla cake made with simple syrup, filled with lemon cream and blueberries, frosted in all vanilla buttercream...mmmmmmm

TexasSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafishr

TexasSugar, is the lemon cake w/raspberry as good as it is with chocolate cake?

Yes, if not better. icon_smile.gif

Rincewind  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 13

This weekend I made a white cake (King Arthur's Elegant White Cake recipe), brushed with a vanilla/Godiva White Chocolate liqueur-flavored syrup and filled it with a vanilla mousse* mixed with strawberry filling (that was flavored with Monin Rose Syrup). It was so good and really nice in this hot weather. I loved the way the white layers looked with the pinkish filling and red strawberries....

*The mousse was from a mix sold at Surfa's, so it was so incredibly easy and mixed with the strawberry filling-- just so good. But I think it would have been just as good with some heavy whipping cream whipped up with some sugar and then the strawberry filling.... I think the mousse mix might be a bit more stable (?) than the whipping cream though. I left it out for several hours yesterday and the filling stayed nice and fluffy.

I think a white cake, torted and filled with a strawberry filling and a lemon mousse sounds so good! I might try that sometime: make a lemon curd and fold it into a mousse....

Tona  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 13

In the summer a good banana cake is wonderul and not to heavey with buttercream icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%