Do You Have A Good Summer Cake Recipe?

Decorating By bafishr Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm by Tona

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #1 of 13

I would like to make a cake that is not too heavy for the 4th, although I love chocolate I would like something with a lighter texture. Does anyone have a good recipe they would be willing to share? Something that can handle fondant. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 13

ok, I didn't know cake was seasonal! I don't care what time of year it is, I still want my same 'ole favorite cake flavor! thumbs_up.gif

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:53am
post #3 of 13

indydebi, you're too funny. I just wanted something a little lighter tasting,
plus all the cakes I've been making are chocolate and I need some variety.

sadiepix Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 13

Don't know how crazy you wanna get, as there are always standbys like lemon etc. but maybe something exotic like a saffron cake?
Maybe a light cocoa with chili?

lorijom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:18am
post #5 of 13

My number one requested cake during the summer is lemon cake with mixed berry or raspberry chambourd filling. I also add lemon oil to my fondant.

bwonderful Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:25am
post #6 of 13

did someone say margarita cake? I'm there icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:28am
post #7 of 13

Lemon cake with blueberry or raspberry filling. Or if you really like lemon, lemon cake with lemon curd.

White cake with lemon or lime curd.

Orange cake with a vanila filling and icing (think dreamsicle.)

Pineapple cake with coconut filling or vice versa.

Strawberry cake.

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:30am
post #8 of 13

sadiepix, thanks for the suggestion. I found a margarita recipe on recipezaar that sounds great. Plus I already have the Tequila icon_wink.gif

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:40am
post #9 of 13

lorijom, how do you make raspberry chambourd? I've made Merissa's raspberry filling. Could you pm the directions to me?

TexasSugar, is the lemon cake w/raspberry as good as it is with chocolate cake?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll be making cake just to try something new thumbs_up.gif

thedessertdiva Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:52am
post #10 of 13

My favorite cake durring the warm months is french vanilla cake made with simple syrup, filled with lemon cream and blueberries, frosted in all vanilla buttercream...mmmmmmm

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 13
Originally Posted by bafishr

TexasSugar, is the lemon cake w/raspberry as good as it is with chocolate cake?

Yes, if not better. icon_smile.gif

Rincewind Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 13

This weekend I made a white cake (King Arthur's Elegant White Cake recipe), brushed with a vanilla/Godiva White Chocolate liqueur-flavored syrup and filled it with a vanilla mousse* mixed with strawberry filling (that was flavored with Monin Rose Syrup). It was so good and really nice in this hot weather. I loved the way the white layers looked with the pinkish filling and red strawberries....

*The mousse was from a mix sold at Surfa's, so it was so incredibly easy and mixed with the strawberry filling-- just so good. But I think it would have been just as good with some heavy whipping cream whipped up with some sugar and then the strawberry filling.... I think the mousse mix might be a bit more stable (?) than the whipping cream though. I left it out for several hours yesterday and the filling stayed nice and fluffy.

I think a white cake, torted and filled with a strawberry filling and a lemon mousse sounds so good! I might try that sometime: make a lemon curd and fold it into a mousse....

Tona Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 13

In the summer a good banana cake is wonderul and not to heavey with buttercream icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%