Need Help To Make A Cake Transfer

Decorating By silverspring_2007 Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 3:51am by silverspring_2007

silverspring_2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverspring_2007 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #1 of 7

I have been trying to find a tried and true way to transfer a image onto a cake to no avail. I've tried the wax paper method punching holes in it with a needle laying it on to the cake and using the coco powder to go through the holes to get it to transfer and this didn't work. What a disaster! Yesterday just tried the waxed paper and thought the pin marks would transfer and this didn't work either. I have read about the piping gel method does this really work and what color paste would you use to add to the piping gel? Or is there something that's more reliable. I have two birthday cakes to make in July and I'm so frustrated as anything I try just doesn't seem to work for me. I do use a crusting BCF. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

6 replies
momshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momshobby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 7

In the wilton 1 course, we put clear (plain piping gel) in a decorating bag with no tip. On the table, have the pattern you want copied in reverse (mirror image), and then have wax paper so that you can see the image through the wax paper. Cut a small hole in the decorating bag, and trace your image in piping gel on the wax paper.

carefully lift the wax paper, and place your image (piping gel down)on the crusted buttercream. Rub the wax paper with a paint brush until the piping gel removes itself from the wax paper and plants itself on the cake top.

Now fill in your pattern as desired.

Some people do their pattern in buttercream on parchment, fill on the parchment, freeze, lift and place right on the cake. There are a number of web tutorials with regard to buttercream transfers.

Good luck and enjoy

silverspring_2007 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 7

Thank You SO much momsbaby. I appreciate all your help. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #4 of 7

Try using color flow or a frozen buttercream transfer. The instructions for a FBCT are on this site under articles. The FBCT is reliable, easily edible (more likely to be eaten than color flow), and it is not very hard to do. The Little Mermaid pic in my photos is a FBCT.

silverspring_2007 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your help tracey1970 took a look at your cake and it's beautiful! Was looking more for the directions to get the out line on to the cake and then out line it black. Will be using a #16 star tip to fill in the rest of the picture. The transfer you do I like to do to but wanted to try something new. Thanks Again for all your help ladies.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #6 of 7

I use the piping gel method all the time. Here's one example of mine:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1162281

I like to tint it with just a tiny bit of black so it will show up better.

silverspring_2007 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:51am
post #7 of 7

Thank You April exactly what I was looking for. Looked at your cake it's beautiful you did a really nice and neat job! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%