How To Keep A Square Cake Square

Decorating By friendly Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 3:29am by PinkZiab

friendly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friendly Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #1 of 5

I start off with a square fruit cake and roll the fondant to the thickness required I check to see if it is the same thinkness on each side using a rolling pin to lift the fondant on the cake. BUT I still end up with a cake tha is not the same size on each side and rounded edges and corners. Can any one help or do I have to give up on square cakes

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #2 of 5

That's just the fondant doing what it does... it naturally rounds out over the edges of a cake, no matter what shape it is. You can just press it with a fondant smoother or with your hands and shape the corners a little until it's more square. You just have to work it a little, press it out between your hands gently until it gets to a more square-edged shape.

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5

Here's a great video of covering a square cake. The most important thing to remember is to work the corners first.

" rel="nofollow">

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #4 of 5

You can also take to fondant smoothers and smooth them towards each other on the corners and edges if you want to sharpen them up some.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

The best advice I can give is to make sure your cake is VERY cold. Put it in the fridge so the buttercream is nice and firm, and don't take it out until your fondant is rolled and ready to lay over the cake. You'll get nice sharp, square edges/corners every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%