Omg! I Can't Beleive I Did This!

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 6:26am by cakequeen50

bubba01 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone! OMG I cannot beleive I did this. I've only been doing cakes for about 2 years now. So this weekend I had 4 cake orders. On my 3rd cake delivery, which was a 8 inch cake and 7 dozen cupcakes. I got everything set up and and about 10 minutes after I left I was looking ant my camera to look at the setup. And there it was, I wrote the wrong name on the 8 inch cake. I went back to get the cake to fix it and the customer scrapped the name off, I knew she was upset. I explained to the customer that it was a mistake and took it back home to fix it. I was able to fix it and you couldn't tell that the wrong name was written on it. I took it back to the graduation party and showed the customer and she seemed a little more at ease. I apologized about 10 times more. When she brings back my equipment tomorrow, do you think I should affer any kind of refund for the mistake?

14 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #2 of 15

No.

Gefion Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 15

Not at all. You corrected the mistake and she had her cake.

bubba01 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #4 of 15

Thanks for your input. I just getting my name out in my area and I don't want to ruin it from a stupid mistake. Thanks again.

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #5 of 15

Everyone's human and everyone makes mistakes...you corrected it, no harm done.

Jen icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #6 of 15

NO You fixed it ! No harm !Everyone makes mistakes!

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #7 of 15

I'm sure everyone loved the cake, and at the end of the day she'll remember the taste not the *almost* mistake icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #8 of 15

No refunds...it was fix on time..

Jocmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:59am
post #9 of 15

You fixed the mistake - no harm done.

smbegg Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:14am
post #10 of 15

I wouldn't. I would just make sure that you bring a icing bag w/tip to delivery to fix any mistakes. That is what I do. then you could repair on the spot if needed.

Stephanie

mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

I wouldn't. I would just make sure that you bring a icing bag w/tip to delivery to fix any mistakes. That is what I do. then you could repair on the spot if needed.

Stephanie

ITA! Make & bring a little "emergency bag" with you each time you deliver a cake. That way if something needs to be done, you can do it right there on the spot.

I can imagine how you feel though - I am just getting out there myself. I would probably offer her a coupon for a percentage or dollar amount off her next order. icon_smile.gif

acookieobsession Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #12 of 15

I agree with the coupon, 10% or something. Really , $6 off a $ 60 cake is nothing compared to the slightest bad comment....

Julia

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #13 of 15

Stuff like this happens alll the time in bakeries. It happens. It's no big deal. You fixed it. Do not give any refund or coupon or promise to babysit the kids. Not one cookie!

Just say no.

If other people find out she gave a coupon when she came back and fixed the cake it's opening yourself up to be taken advantage of.

Honestly, it shows a clear lack of confidence and that's even worse than a stray negative comment. However the comment would have to include that she came back and fixed it so a refund or coupon is a just an all around bad idea. It's not about feelings, it's business.

Designing a cake is about feelings. The money part is business. Keeping the two separate is priceless.

acookieobsession Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:15am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Honestly, it shows a clear lack of confidence and that's even worse than a stray negative comment. However the comment would have to include that she came back and fixed it so a refund or coupon is a just an all around bad

Hmm, I am pretty good about sep. feelings and business. I try to look at customer service issues as I would want to be treated. If I received a coupon at that time I would think...."Well she messed up and was thankfully able to fix it, plus I have this coupon,....wonder what I can order next."

Just my opinion...my DH says no coupon...he is all about the money. icon_lol.gif

I am sure it does not matter really if you do or don't....

Julua

cakequeen50 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:26am
post #15 of 15

I'm all about customer service and would let her know that next time she orders, you will adjust the price a bit for her.
People love customer service and like to feel like they are not just a number with a coupon.

JMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%