Going Crazy!

Decorating By Marcelita Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 6:42am by deliciously_decadent

Marcelita Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 3

Please help! I have been asked to make a cake to celebrate a man who is turning 70. The cake is round 10, 8, 6. The wife asked me to make a 3D figure of a guy running as the birthday guy is an avid marathon runner. I have looked everywhere here in CC for ideas, but can't find any. Please, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks icon_wink.gif

2 replies
Shola Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:49am
post #2 of 3

Hi,
Found a couple of pics:
Runner's cake:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fatisdreamcakes/2496178427/

This runner's a girl but you can adapt her! icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.totallytoppers.com/images/gallery/runner.jpg

If you could change the design, a cake with a fondant 'running shoe' on top would be good too icon_confused.gif

HTH's icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:42am
post #3 of 3

I do all my 3D figurines with and underlying frame if polystyrene for body and head carved to look like shape with wire or skewer frame for arms and legs then use modelling fondant (fondant with CMC mixed) to coat the frame. this way it looks completely fondant but has the stability of the frame to hold and flexibility of different actions by using the wire to get the vasic shape. it also dries much better as it is only minimal fondant. (I hope I am making sense!! OM me if not!)
eg: for a runner i would carve a polystyrene (I think the Us call it styrofaom?) joining them together with a skewer then add wire arms and legs in the running position then i cover it with the applicable colour modelling fondant (support limbs with cotton buds if necessary until dry) and I would also put a thick gage wire with floral tape from the bottom of one foot to stivk into the cake to hold it in. Again if you want clearer more detailed instructions let me know and i can make some up for you. I hope I have helped and not confused you icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%