Need Help Down With Choc Transfer Sheets I Bought

Decorating By Arriva Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm by Omicake

Arriva Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 10

I am making my best friend's BD cake right now. Decided to try a chocolate transfer sheet I just bought. I planned to put it on the side of the cake I covered with MMF. The sheet has a very delicate "Happy Birthday" all over it. Problem: it did not come with instructions. How do I put it on the cake?? Thanks so much.

9 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #3 of 10

The above instructions involve flooding the back of the transfer sheet with melted chocolate/candy melts. I've never tried it over fondant, but if you have a nice smooth surface, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

On the other hand, if you plan to put the transfer directly on the fondant, once it's on the cake, I wouldn't advise it--the process involves heat from an iron and a silicone sheet in between the iron and the transfer. Ideally, you do that on the rolled out fondant and then apply it to the cake once cooled.

2txmedics Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:44am
post #4 of 10

I was reading about them about it on the Martha Stewart Calligraphy site....but it didnt say on what kind of cake it was being put on ....does this means it will never and cant work on b/c icing?!!!

I thought once you melted the choc. on the transfer...and it dried if you had fresh b/c icing you could place the transfer with the choc you put on and it would stick???

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:54am
post #5 of 10

Yes, if you have a buttercream iced cake, you flood the back of the transfer sheet with chocolate and while still pliable, you wrap it around the cake. There are more in-depth instructions for this, but it's the basic idea.

2txmedics Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 10

Oh thank god...cause I saw this and I was posting with Glogal surgar art and he said cant only use it with fondant and not b/ I was very disappointed.....

ok, so as long as the b/c icing is still moist, and I have choc. smeared on the should work...thanks!!!! I LOVE THIS SITE.....

Shelly4481 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 10

I did this exact transfer, it is in my photos. I did it on buttercream. Fairly easy, loved the outcome. I put cake in fridge as soon as I put wrapped the cake to harden the chocolate. Then after 20 minutes or so took out and peeled off the paper/wrap part.

JodieF Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 10

I've put plenty of chocolate transfers on buttercream, including the wedding cake that's my avatar.
It's not a problem!

Omicake Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 10

Has there been any problem at all ( melting or separating from the cake) with the hot weather down there in Texas or other places with high temperatures?

Quote by @%username% on %date%