Need To Create A Sand Look For Cake Board

Decorating By deliciously_decadent Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm by Win

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 16

Hi guys a bride wants her beach themed madhatter to be sitting on a sand look cake board while i have seen this i am not sure how to acheive it. thought possibly colouring sugar?? don't know. so if anyone can tell me how they do it i would be most greatfull!
Thanks everyone thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
Doug Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 16

my sand recipe:

2 parts graham crackers - crushed
2 parts vanilla wafers - crushed
1 part brown sugar (I prefer dark)

blend well

(I crush buy putting it all in food processor and whirl until finely crushed and blended)

in this case, to keep it from spilling off board, either...

1) don't put on cake until at party (last minute)

2) slather board to edge w/ buttercream and smoosh the "sand" into the BC (helps if BC is tinted a "sand" color.

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 16

Some also use a mixture of regular granulated sugar and brown sugar.

Shanille21 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:30am
post #4 of 16

i use granulated brown sugar

KarenOR Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 16

I like Turbino sugar because it's got some sparkle to it.

JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #6 of 16

I use BROWNULATED sugar. Domino makes it, I can buy it at the local grocery store near the brown sugar. The grains are round like sand but are not gritty like regular brown sugar if it gets mixed in with the cake. It also smells very good, just like brown sugar. Love the stuff!

Jen icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 16

I use at different times; crushed gingerbread, oreos, graham crackers, Nilla wafers, and maple sandwich cookies. It all depends on what I have on hand and the shade I'm going for.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:31am
post #8 of 16

Graham crackers, brown sugar, or raw sugar. Depending on what I have on hand and the look I am going for.

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:20am
post #9 of 16

thanks for all the tips. I am in australia and am unsure about quite a few of those ingredients (the biscuit ones are not for sale here or I am not sure of the equivelent) The brown sugar/raw sugar idea os probably the one I will have to go with. Its not until august but like to know exactly how i am going to tackle a cake well and truly before it comes up icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the help and if anyone thinks of anything else before late augaust i would love to know
Cheers Guys!

bejewelled Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:46am
post #10 of 16

if you sprinkle a little bit of sparkle dust over brown sugar, it replicates the shiny bits of mica you see twinkly in sand on a sunny day - looks far more realistic, than brown sugar alone.

jess85 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:20am
post #11 of 16

the closest matches over here in OZ would be granitas or digestive biscuits, maybe even gingernuts dending on what color you want, i have seen quite a few with just brown sugar though and it looks great. do put it on last minute though.

chutzpah Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:38am
post #12 of 16

I don't like the way brown sugar looks. We don't have grahams here either, so I use digestives with a little edible glitter crushed in (called cake sparkles at Wilton, I believe).

bejewelled Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:44am
post #13 of 16

I just realised my first post is incomplete, if you sprinkle some edible glitter (which is much finer than Wiltons cake sparkles) in to brown sugar, it looks like the mica in sand on a sunny day. I do believe the brown sugar we have here in NZ, is slightly different in appearance to the USA brown sugar, I find it gives a great sand look. Your brown sugar in AU may well be different again.

nikki72905 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:21am
post #14 of 16

I saw where someone took brown surgar and put a little water in it... to make it a consistancy like you would see at the beach with sand.

If you did this, you could make a sand castle out of the sand to put around the base... just a thought.

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:57am
post #15 of 16

Hi guys have all been so helpfull and i am really hoping i don't sound like a complete idiot but what are digestive biscuits? i obviosly know gingernut biscuits and had never thought of those! do you think a combo of brown sugar gingernut snaps and yellow edible glitter blended would do it? If I am doing it for a wedding would you think I should not put the cake on the board until set up? I generally transport my cakes assembled where possible. what if i only decorated the cake board around the actual cake? why is it that you do not advise the cake placement until last minute? Apologies if i sound stupid but i am totally anal in wanting to completely understand a new method before I employ it icon_biggrin.gif thanks so much for all your imput

Win Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #16 of 16

When I want a beachy look for actually covering my cake board, I crush Crispie Rice type cereal in a food processor and actually incorporate that into the fondant as I knead it. It gives the fondant the hard packed look that sand gets as the waves crash upon it. Then, I use any of the above suggestions (vanilla wafers, brown sugar, etc.) as the actual sand particles mixed with a little pixie dust (to imitate the mica in the sand) for the "dunes" or true beach sand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%