Real Vanilla In Michelle Foster's Fondant?

Decorating By toodlesjupiter Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm by Sugarflowers

toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 10

Hi! I made this fondant before , but don't remember if I used real vanilla (I usually do as I am a real vanilla snob). Does using real vanilla affect the color. I am in the middle of making it, and added real vanilla without thinking, and I'm hoping it will still be white. Any help will be appreciated! TIA!

9 replies
JoAnnB Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 10

It may be slightly less than bright white. I hate clear vanilla, so I make sure 'creamy white' is ok with the customer.

toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you JoAnnB! I just finished it and I think it will be white enough. I ended up adding a little icing whitener to the liquid, so maybe that helped. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 10

If you look in my pictures.. all of my white fondant cakes are made with this recipe using real vanilla. It's pretty damn white if you ask me. icon_lol.gif It's not going to make it ivory. There's really such a small amount in there and with all that powdered sugar you shouldn't have an issue. icon_smile.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks Jeanne! Yeah, I think it's going to look fine. You have some great cakes, by the way!

FromScratch Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 10

icon_redface.gif Thank you so much!!

I love that Nightmare Before Christmas cake you have in you pics. I love that movie.

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 10

Oh Thank You! My turn to icon_redface.gif. My whole family loves that movie, and that buttercream transfer took forever! Thanks again!

Also just wanted to say your Nantucket Summer cake is awesome! I don't believe you made all those pieces by hand! That's amazing!

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 10

Depending on how much real vanilla you put in it will affect the color. A small amount is not going to make any difference at all. If you do want an ivory color, add about 1 Tbsp. of vanilla. This will be a very pale ivory, but it's very pretty.

HTH

Michele

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you Michelle! And I just want to say that your fondant recipe Rocks!

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Thank you Michelle! And I just want to say that your fondant recipe Rocks!

Thanks!!

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%