Oil Substitute??

Decorating By Batter-UpBakery Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 5:14am by Batter-UpBakery

Batter-UpBakery Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 10

ok i am out of oil so i am wondering if anybody has ever used butter in place of the oil in a cake. im making a cake for SIL and its just a box mix, but i dont have time to load the kids up and go to town for oil. Any suggestions?

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 10

Equal parts applesauce or mayonnaise are good substitutes. I'm sure other folks have subbed in butter to good results. But the odd time I might have tried it it did not do well for me.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 10

oh thanks so much i dont have applesauce, but i have mayo i will just have to figure something out. I hate last minute cakes. i just found out today that they were having a get together tonight so.......

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 10

I buy baby food applesauce to keep on the shelf just for the random time I might run out.

Take Care

mjballinger Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 10

I've used butter and I've also used margerine. Substituting the same amount for the oil. I've also used applesauce and sour cream works too!

sadiepix Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 10

Yup, mayo is what I throw in in a pinch (I never seem to have applesauce on hand..)

Yay for substitutes, or I would have been in a pickle more times...

Hope your last minute gathering is fun!

trixe371 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 10

ive used butter and the cake was fine

auntsteff Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:36am
post #8 of 10

I use applesauce and pumpkin in place of oil on a regular basis. In fact, unless someone specifically requests that I not use them, they go in the mix. I think it makes for a moister cake. It is definitely a healthier cake!

I also frequently use fat-free buttermilk in place of milk and water in my recipes. Again, it makes a moister cake.

nikki72905 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #9 of 10

I always use butter in my cakes.

I have not used oil since I started learing how to decorate cakes.

My cakes always turn out really moist

It takes a 1/3 cup..

Batter-UpBakery Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:14am
post #10 of 10

thanks for all the replies, from now on i will make sure i keep applesauce and mayo on hand. my MIL ended up bringing me some oil cause she decided to get the girls while i worked on the cake so...

i am glad i asked though, because one day i might need to use the other stuff and now i know what to use hehe. thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%