Oil Substitute??

Decorating By Batter-UpBakery Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 5:14am by Batter-UpBakery

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 10

ok i am out of oil so i am wondering if anybody has ever used butter in place of the oil in a cake. im making a cake for SIL and its just a box mix, but i dont have time to load the kids up and go to town for oil. Any suggestions?

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 10

Equal parts applesauce or mayonnaise are good substitutes. I'm sure other folks have subbed in butter to good results. But the odd time I might have tried it it did not do well for me.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 10

oh thanks so much i dont have applesauce, but i have mayo i will just have to figure something out. I hate last minute cakes. i just found out today that they were having a get together tonight so.......

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 10

I buy baby food applesauce to keep on the shelf just for the random time I might run out.

Take Care

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 10

I've used butter and I've also used margerine. Substituting the same amount for the oil. I've also used applesauce and sour cream works too!

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 10

Yup, mayo is what I throw in in a pinch (I never seem to have applesauce on hand..)

Yay for substitutes, or I would have been in a pickle more times...

Hope your last minute gathering is fun!

trixe371 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixe371 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 10

ive used butter and the cake was fine

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:36am
post #8 of 10

I use applesauce and pumpkin in place of oil on a regular basis. In fact, unless someone specifically requests that I not use them, they go in the mix. I think it makes for a moister cake. It is definitely a healthier cake!

I also frequently use fat-free buttermilk in place of milk and water in my recipes. Again, it makes a moister cake.

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #9 of 10

I always use butter in my cakes.

I have not used oil since I started learing how to decorate cakes.

My cakes always turn out really moist

It takes a 1/3 cup..

Batter-UpBakery Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:14am
post #10 of 10

thanks for all the replies, from now on i will make sure i keep applesauce and mayo on hand. my MIL ended up bringing me some oil cause she decided to get the girls while i worked on the cake so...

i am glad i asked though, because one day i might need to use the other stuff and now i know what to use hehe. thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%