Am I Being Tacky???

Decorating By jolmk Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 1:36am by poshcakedesigns

jolmk Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 18

I'm making gp roses and I really don't want to put calyxes on all the flowers. I'll do the rose buds because you can see them, but on the larger flowers that part gets stuck in the bc. Be honest.. tacky, cheap, or just plain lazy.

TIA
Jo

17 replies
aine2 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 18

Jo...I don't make complete flowers ever. I just make the heads of roses and place them in such a way that the calyx wouldn't be seen anyway. My reasons? I am not a great flower maker so I choose the easiest option to suit myself. If the customer wanted more than what I could offer then I would recommend someone else who could do it but to be honest I've had no complaints or requests for someone else so far. thumbs_up.gif This cake has no greenery at all. Tacky, cheap or lazy...you decide. icon_wink.gif http://flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/652544086/in/set-72157594510612883/

I just wanted to add...go with whatever looks good to you. I wouldn't say it's lazy at all, just easier! icon_wink.gif

jjkarm Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 18

That's what I do. Why go to all the extra work if it will never been seen anyway? With the cake I just did, I knew only the front of the roses would be seen. Therefore, I only put the calyx on the rose buds then I stick extra leaves here and there around the roses.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1236137.html

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 18

No..you are not being lazy...Is a lot of work to add the calyx to flowers and waist time in something that is not going to be seen. I only add them on flowers that I know the underside is going to be seen.. Or maybe for a show or competition.
Even bought flowers dont have the calyx!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jolmk Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks Everyone,
I always see such beautiful work here on CC, that if I don't put all the parts on, that I'm not giving it my all.

Jo

littlecake Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 18

i would call it wise time management

lutie Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 18

Make the roses the way you want to make them; if the customer likes it, they will give you a recommendation to all of their friends... if not, you will not get business. You will know soon enough, but I bet that it is the cake's taste that is the barometer, not whether you have the flower "anatomically correct!"

CakeWhizz Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 18

Well said everyone. I tend to make hand molded roses which don't need calyxes as they are never seen, so please feel free to step away from those calyxes Jo!

superstar Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 18

Don't waste time if they are not going to be seen.

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 18

OK... I'll hold up my stupid sign ... what's a calyx?

fat-sissy Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 18

The calyx is the green part on the bottom of the flower and I don't make 'em either.

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 18

Oh!!! You mean the green flower-butt!! Well, why didn't you say so!

Lady_Phoenix Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 18

Calyx refers to the leaves just under a flower.

Tootall Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 18

Heck, a lot of people don't even KNOW what all a rose is supposed to have on it. Unless you're making a cake for a master gardener, I wouldn't bother icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #15 of 18

If you are going to enter a cake decorating contest then you had better stop being wise w/your time and make those star-shaped green flower butts! icon_smile.gif
Otherwise why bother when they are not seen (at least 99% of the time).

Doug Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh!!! You mean the green flower-butt!! Well, why didn't you say so!

tying to kill me????\\

stop that when I'm eating!

(ok, my fault, really shouldn't be eating when reading an IndyDebi post!
ok, shouldn't be eating at the computer either.....)

----

OLD theatre adage about what to paint/decorate and what not to paint/decorate.....

if the audience isn't going to see it.......DON'T do it!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

OLD theatre adage about what to paint/decorate and what not to paint/decorate.....

if the audience isn't going to see it.......DON'T do it!

Nice to know we can always rely on show business for words of wisdom!

icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

poshcakedesigns Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #18 of 18

Lol if your being lazy so am I. I don't do it either. If they aren't going to see it and I'm not in some sort of contest why bother?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%