Still Having Icing Problems Since New Crisco Was Introduced

Decorating By LizAnn Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 4:18am by KathysCC

LizAnn Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 10

I know this subject has been horse-whipped to death, but ever since the new Crisco came out I've not been able to come up with icing that doesn't leave a greasy feeling on the lips and tongue. I've tried flour, I've tried cornstarch, I've tried Alpine (didn't like it), I've tried store brands of shortening.
Can anyone help me ???? I'm really at my wit's end and am truly open to all suggestions. Thanks very much !

9 replies
Cakepro Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 10

Do you add salt to your icing? Salt plays a chemical role in icing, in that it cuts the greasy feel off of the palate. It also helps amplify the flavor of the extracts and tone down the taste of the powdered sugar.

If all else fails, try a different recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-3783-5.html

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 10

what is your crisco/sugar ratio?

I tried a different recipe once that had twice the amount of crisco that I'm used to using. Holy Moly that stuff tasted like crap, and at that moment in time, I understood those folks who don't like crisco-based icing .... because if that had been my first exposure to it, I'd never eat it again!

I use 1-1/3 cups crisco to 2 lbs of p.sugar.

Doug Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

what is your crisco/sugar ratio?

I tried a different recipe once that had twice the amount of crisco that I'm used to using. Holy Moly that stuff tasted like crap, and at that moment in time, I understood those folks who don't like crisco-based icing .... because if that had been my first exposure to it, I'd never eat it again!

I use 1-1/3 cups crisco to 2 lbs of p.sugar.

you forgot your "secret" ingredient -- which I attest makes it EVER so much more yummy.

(i use 1-1/2 cups fats, usually 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter) to 2-1/2 lbs PS)

JanH Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #5 of 10

Indydebi's Crisco based b/c recipe:
(Secret ingredient is Dream Whip.) icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

Overview of different icings by type:

http://tinyurl.com/yh44gu

HTH

KathysCC Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #6 of 10

The dream whip seems to be working for me. I too was having a lot of problems with grease kind of leaking out of my icing. The dream whip has stabilized it some. I also use salt but didn't know that was helping me. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #7 of 10

I use SugarShacks recipe.. but have been experimenting with SMBC's

Rosie2 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

The dream whip seems to be working for me. I too was having a lot of problems with grease kind of leaking out of my icing. The dream whip has stabilized it some. I also use salt but didn't know that was helping me. icon_lol.gif

Hi Kathy, quick question. Indydebi's recepie does not call for salt--it calls for Dream Whip...should I still add salt to it?

Thank you!

havingfun Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #9 of 10

Has anyone ever made Indydebi's icing with some butter in it?

KathysCC Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:18am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Hi Kathy, quick question. Indydebi's recepie does not call for salt--it calls for Dream Whip...should I still add salt to it?

Thank you!

I don't use Indydebi's recipe but my recipe calls for a dash of salt. Since I four times the recipe I probably put about 1/4 tsp of salt(that goes with about 16 cups or 4 pounds of confectioner's sugar) and 3 tablespoons of Dream Whip. I don't see how a couple of dashes of salt would hurt anything. Try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%