Buttercream Icing Recipe

Baking By tigger_mya Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm by Hawkette

tigger_mya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigger_mya Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 6

i need a recipe for a buttercream icing that doesn't need to be refrigerated but would also be good to frost a cake then add mmf decorations. please help ASAP have to make a cake for tomorrow.

5 replies
flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 6

This has become my favorite. It crusts nicely and it doesn't need to be in the fridge. If you do a search on Youtube for sugarshack, you can see how she makes her frosting.

Here is the link for Sugarshack's recipe. I am using this for a cake tomorrow, one of my most requested recipe. (Especially now that I am using Wedding bouquet in it!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

Sandi princess.gif

tigger_mya Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

are there any other great tasting recipes that would work great besides the sugarshack one?

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 6

I haved a recipe you can use and very easy to make.... no refridgeration required. (however I do put the leftover icing in the fridge when I am done, give it a 6 weeks shelf life..then i take it out an hour before I need to come to room temp.)

you'll need:

1kg bag of icing sugar
2 cups of crisco shortening
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt - you can change this, it depends on how sweet you want your icing to be
1 tsp flavouring (any flavour as long as its clear-almond is my fav!)

in a deep mixing bowl. add water, flavour, salt, 1/4 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of sugar... mix on low with hand or table mixer for about 2 minutes or until smooth. it can be a little lumpy it wont change the effect, but then add some more sugar and mix, alternate the shortening and sugar until all gone.. scraping sides of the bowl between additions.. you may need to add water if its too stiff, but only a tbsp at a time. and listen to your mixer.. i usually need to bring the speed up one notch once the icing gets thicker... you don't want to burn out the motor.

this icing is great for icing cakes, fillings, and as a glue for fondant.. crust nice in about 15 - 20 minuts and easy to smooth with wax paper or viva towel method.

hope you enjoy

if you use it, let me know how you like it

tigger_mya Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 6

thanks to both of you for all the help!

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 6

I know a lot of you on CC don't like frostings with Crisco. What recipe do you all use if you're not using Crisco?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%