Do I Use Fondant Or Gumpaste? A Few Questions.

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 2:44am by bafishr

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:40am
post #1 of 11

I am making a Wizard of Oz cake in August but I want to create a witch, tinman, etc. now and store them.

Which would work better - gumpaste or fondant?

Also, do I have to tint the gumpaste or fondant or can I paint it? What do you use to paint gumpaste or fondant?

Thank you!

10 replies
bashini Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:11am
post #2 of 11

I would use gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I would paint the tinman in silver and would use silver lustre dust mixed with confectioner's glaze. You also can use clear alcohol instead of confectioner's glaze. If you are using alcohol, you need to apply it few time. Do it ones and let it dry and then apply it again. For the witch, you can color the paste with gel colors.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

karateka Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:11am
post #3 of 11

I'd use gumpaste or a combo of the two, like 50/50.

You can either color the gumpaste or paint it. Use either an airbrush or paint it with thinned out gel colors, or reconstitute the powder with some alcohol, such as extract or vodka.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:25am
post #4 of 11

I haven't ever heard of mixing luster with confectioners glaze ..

I mix with Everclear.... To get a shiny silver you will need to paint layers... paint one layer on and let it dry... then paint another.. till you get your desired look.

bashini Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 11

Christi, I always use dust and confectioner's glaze. The consistancy of the mixture that I get is much thicker than when you use alcohol or extract. You need to apply it only ones and there is a nice shine to it as well. icon_smile.gif

MBoyd Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #6 of 11

You can use either, but gumpaste wil dry more quickly, as will the 50/50 combo.

When I paint with luster, I use an eyedropper to add Everclear to make a thick "paint" I don't usually have to do a second coat this way. Also it's easier to get a even silver color if you start with gray fondant rather than white.

btw - I did a Wiz of oz cake - but no figures - you can see it on my website.

good luck with yours!

bafishr Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:47am
post #7 of 11

What is confectioners glaze, and Everclear?
Can you buy them at the grocery store?

jess85 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:25am
post #8 of 11

I like to use fondant mixed with CMC/Tylo/Cellogen (about 1/2 tsp per 500g) and i color it first and paint the details. but whichever you go with both will hold up for ages as long as they are kept out of moisture.

chutzpah Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:41am
post #9 of 11

I mix GP and RF to make a modelling paste.

When I need silver I always start with grey adn then paint it with a pearl dust.

MBoyd Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 11

Confectioner's glaze is a liquid, most commonly used for making commercial hard candies (jelly beans, jaw breakers, lemonheads, etc.) It gives a sheen to the finished product.
Its also often used in making gumpaste flowers - especially leaves that have a glossy or waxy appearance.

Confectioner's glaze can be found online at many online cake dec. sites.

Everclear is grain alcohol and can be found at just about any liquor store.

When painting on GP or Fondant, the alcohol dries quickly and doesn't break down the GP or Fondant.

bafishr Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #11 of 11

thanks MBoyd

Quote by @%username% on %date%