Royal Icing Virgin...lookin To Learn Some New Skills!

Decorating By littlecake Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 12:52am by toodlesjupiter

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:08am
post #1 of 9

and having a hard time finding any good links.

i tried the search option here...but since it has "icing" in it 1 zillion threads came up about everything.

i wasn't much interested in royal before...then i saw this cool tiara made with it...

then it got me thinking of other applications

gee where is that david ducovney....he knows where all the good links are lol! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

july is a bit slower for me...i thought i could play with this and maybe make some stuff ahead...it will store well after it dries, won't it?

8 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 9

I'm no JanH icon_wink.gif but here are a few links you may find helpful:

http://www.cake-decorating-corner.com/royal-icing-recipe.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/article113-How-To-Make-A-Royal-Icing-Tiara.html

I just starting working a lot with RI - killing my hands trying to learn stringwork - and a book I found most helpful is Sug a r cra ft Skills Royal Icing. Best of luck!

Based on some input from TipTop57 I've found using egg white recipes the best.

littlecake Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 9

THANKS GUYS!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 9

I never thought I wanted to use RI before either, but decided to try it and it just gives you more options. My first RI work were transfers. I made Egyptian figures to stand on the corners of my cake, and I think they turned out well. I also did an eiffel tower and a space needle, but I can't seem to upload any more pics because I'm on Safari now. Here's a pic of my first cake with RI transfers. HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1149704

edited to fix link

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 9

A name that springs to mind is someone called Nadene Hurst (a UK based decorator). Her medium is royal icing and she is really excellent. I think she's written a couple of books which you can find on amazon.

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Littlecakes, You can make almost anything ahead with royal icing. I do up roses, flowers, heart, butterflies, little critters, birds, dogs, cats, etc..... I keep a pretty good supply on hand for those last minute orders... Yes it will keep for years if kept away from moisture or ants..I store mine in sheet boxes in my spare bedroom. I have royal for all the holidays, birthdays, anniversary's, baby showers...etc... in there own boxes. I put labels on the sides so I know whats what. I use cake boards and bubble rap to keep breakage to very little.

I have been playing with royal sence the late 70's and love it. I would post a picture but not sure how to change the pixels so it will down load icon_redface.gif Azure

littlecake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

I never thought I wanted to use RI before either, but decided to try it and it just gives you more options. My first RI work were transfers. I made Egyptian figures to stand on the corners of my cake, and I think they turned out well. I also did an eiffel tower and a space needle, but I can't seem to upload any more pics because I'm on Safari now. Here's a pic of my first cake with RI transfers. HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1149704

edited to fix link

WOW!!!! that is one amazing cake!!!!! Thanks so much for posting that pic.!

how long did the figures take to cure?

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:52am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much littlecake! I just let the figures dry for 24 hours +or-. I think that is still my favorite cake I've done so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%