Help On "requested" Supports For A 2 Tiered Weddin

Decorating By cocobean Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #1 of 6

Going to be making a two tiered wedding cake for the 3rd of July. 14" square bottom and 10" round top. The bride wants me to use these square glass votive candle holders to separate the cakes. (4 holders under each tier) You can actually put a flower inside of the glass of each one because they are clear. (Very pretty. I used the same holders for another wedding cake for their family). But, the 14" bottom cake for that wedding was "fake". Very easy to set the votives between the tiers. This time the 14" bottom cake is real. I'm not sure of the best way to support the votives in the middle when the bottom cake is real this time. Any suggestions. DH can't seem to concentrate when I'm talking to him about cake. icon_confused.gif Just so you can visualize this there will be fresh flowers around the bottom tier, inbetween the two tiers and on top of the top tier. I have a pic in my photos of the first wedding cake I made this same family, with the same glass votives. Remember the bottom of the pictured cake is "fake". The picture is on the last row of my first page. Sorry I can't do attachments. icon_redface.gif

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:31am
post #2 of 6

Seems to me you will have to use a cake plate on top of the bottom tier, with supports under that.

Since there will be flowers, you should be able to hide the edges of the plate. Then the votives can sit on that hard surface, and the plate is supported by dowels.

HTH

cocobean Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:48am
post #3 of 6

Thanks karateka, I hadn't thought of that idea. I was trying to figure out if I should put dowels in the bottom cake and put the votives directly on each one. But the plate idea seems like it would give me more peace of mind. I'm just afraid that the plate will stick horribly to the bc. I couldn't talk the bride into fondant and it is an outdoor wedding, 5-7 at night. The cake is going to be under a tent but I've checked the weather and it should be in the 90's. Still really hot for a cake. The cake cutting gal is suppose to be on hand to start cutting if she see's the cake is starting to melt or something horrible. icon_rolleyes.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:13am
post #4 of 6

I normally use bc & my supplier has a "macaroon coconut" - I THINK that's what it's called. I know it's coconut shavings... anyway, you put them right on top of the frosting prior to placing the plate down - it's just like if you were going to stack another cake tier on top. I was going to suggest the plate idea too - I can't think of another idea that would work unless you made individual supports for each - but votives are so small. You can pipe a border around the plate, or just do your best to hide it with the flowers - but even if it shows, I think that's okay. Good luck figuring it out & hopefully it will cool down by that time in the evening (and if you're cutting the cake, you can bring some BC to spread on top of that layer after you remove that plate, but prior to cutting - ? Just a thought!)

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:35am
post #5 of 6

I've sprinkled the top of my cakes with powdered sugar before stacking and I've heard that helps a good deal. But I haven't ever asked a bride if the top of their tiers were messed up!

cocobean Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks you guys good suggestions. That helps! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%