Murphy's Law

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm by aligotmatt

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:32am
post #1 of 9

If anything can go wrong, it will.

I paid extra money to have the frickin UPS deliver this topper for the bride TODAY and I waited and waited and waited. It wasn't here and I had to go out to feed my children. They always leave it at the door, but this was her topper, for her cake, FOR TOMORROW, and I thought, I'll wait, it's hot out. But I could wait no more.

I get home and there is a note on the door that they did not deliver and will reattempt ON MONDAY!!! 2 DAYS TOO LATE!

So I call the ups number and give them my stuff and I'm flipping out. I told the lady, I know this is not YOUR fault, but I'm flipping out. This is a wedding cake topper for a wedding cake for TOMORROW and I cannot have the thing on MONDAY. And SHE HUNG UP ON ME!! I know I was talking in a high pitched squealing, holy crap, somebody stop me before my head pops off, voice, BUT I NEED THAT BOX!! I *KNOW* It's my fault that a saturday cake topper was getting delivered on Friday, and that is short notice, BUT MONDAY! Hello, I know UPS delivers on SAturdays and they had the gall to tell me there was no way to access my package until MONDAY.

I called back and flipped out on the next guy and explained that I am flipping out and what about and that I also got hung up on and this is totally unacceptable. I asked for any info about the store, the driver, anything so I could try to get this topper. He was like, no there is nothing we can do. *twitch twitch* The guy always leaves it at the door!! Why not tonight?!?

So, when I post on Monday that I was arrested on Saturday for breaking into the UPS center... you'll all know why. when I wake up, I'm heading down there... you know someone's there. I'll get that topper I will. And if I don't, I'm returning it and filing a complaint, which I may do anyway.

Thanks for reading my probably self inflicted issue rant!

8 replies
OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #2 of 9

WOW!! OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, did the Bride have it sent late? Maybe she won't blame you - can you get anything similar?

Here's my story: I had a similar situation where I needed documents that were FedEx'd to me. I was able to pick-up my item from their office with the tracking #. You may want to try driving over the UPS place right now, if it's not that far. Their front office may be closed, but maybe you can walk around the back?

You need to take some REALLY DEEP BREATHS & calm yourself down so that you can talk to UPS... call them back & advise it is a time sensitive item - a family heirloom for a wedding tomorrow (well, it might be one day?)... anyway - advise that you had a friend pick-up from their office before & that you have to do it also, and asap........... (I am your friend!) =)

Man, I wish I could physically help you. Do you have a hallmark or any store where you can purchase a figurine? Macy's? Goodness SAKE! Please let me know how it turns out. And do NOT go to jail, you really want to deliver the cake.

Another story: I forgot to put the topper on my sister's wedding cake. It's not in 1/2 the pictures, and they didn't notice or care! Please don't beat yourself up, it will work-out okay.

Hugs!
Christina =)

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:23am
post #3 of 9

I really hate Fed Ex. They are the worst and have the worst customer service. We ordered a doll house for my daughter for christmas. It never arrived. We tracked it and it never showed it being delivered. We started calling in january to try and find it. Two weeks after we started questioning it's location, the tracking thing online finally showed it as having been delivered a month before! It was not delivered, I was home that day and if it was, why did it take them a month to get it online as being delivered!?!?! Since they claim it was delivered and left at our door, they refused to refund our money or the insurance money on it. We refuse to use Fed Ex anymore.

ok.. so I know it's not so much of their fault with you but they should not hang up on you! Plus I just like to vent about that still. We still don't have a dollhouse for her. So if anyone has the old school blue roofed little tikes dollhouse just sitting around.. let me know.... jk...

I hope it all works out for you. I'll be watching the evening news for your picture

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:24am
post #4 of 9

oh you used UPS, not Fed EX.. oh well.. I'm bitter at all shipping companies now.. just kidding again!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 9

ick... i'm SOOO sorry you're dealing with this... however, UPS does not deliver on Saturday, ever (at least in this part of the country they don't). I think i would have immediately gone to one of their offices or the central delivery warehouse as soon as I got home and saw the note.

My question is this though, did YOU order this topper or did the bride order the topper? When you deliver the cake today, let whoever signs off on it know there was a problem with delivery of the topper and that you will refund that portion (and THAT PORTION ONLY) back and maybe offer a % off the anniversary cake or future order for the inconvenience. Who knows, maybe the cake will look better without it.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 9

I thought about you as I picked-up the flowers for my wedding cake today... I am just praying that it turns out great without the topper, or that you did get it! ugh... but as I got the flowers, I was thinking that maybe some flowers from the reception site, or some other matching decor may work? The cake I'm delivering today isn't going to have a topper & it's going to look great without one. I just hope they understand. Please let us know how this story turns-out!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

My question is this though, did YOU order this topper or did the bride order the topper?

This is why toppers and florals are the responsibility of my brides. And I tell them to just leave them on the cake table and I'll attach them when I get there.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 9

I'm thinking Ali's in jail somewhere, and we're going to have to have a bake sale to raise money for her bail. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, Ali, I hope everything went OK, with or without the topper. I'm sure your cake is beautiful, regardless.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 9

Not in jail!! I updated the whole cake here http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5992038.html#5992038 Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%