To Stack Or Not To Stack...long Drive Tomorrow!

Decorating By kimmy37 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm by PinkZiab

kimmy37 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:55am
post #1 of 4

OK... i have to deliver a wedding cake an hour and 1/2 away tomorrow (if i ever get it done!).... It's a 3 tier stacked topsy turvy. It's just as solid as a regular 3 tier. A lady in a cake decor store asked me why i would ever stack a cake before arriving at the reception site. Well.... I feel more comfortable at home with all of my equipment, plus with the topsy turvy there is more chance of making a mess i guess. This came up over asking about running a dowel through.... does it make a mess of the cardboard when it passes through??
What would you do????

3 replies
jenncowin Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 4

This may be a little late, but I would transport the bottom 2 stacked and add the top onsite. As for the dowel through them all, cut a hole in the centers of your cardboards so the dowel can pass through. Or sharpen the end of your dowel and should pass through when hammered in. I think I would double-maybe even triple-my cardbard so it's a bit more sturdier. One layer may try to bend when the dowel hits it.

lilyanddayne Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 4

sps system and no worries!

PinkZiab Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 4

The shop I'm at stacks everything before delivery using dowels, with no problems. We dowel up through the bottom tier (holes pre-drilled in all of the boards) and then lower the other tiers onto it. But you can also stack all but the top tier, hammer the dowel down through, and with your top tier's cardboard pre-drilled, lower it over the top of the dowel so the top of the cake won't be marred.

Quote by @%username% on %date%