Guitar String Help

Decorating By jl5949 Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 1:36am by MBoyd

jl5949 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone... Can someone please tell me what they use to make the guitar strings on a guitar cake...

I don't think that I have enough time to order sugarveil so I need some creative ideas.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jeri Lynn

4 replies
projectqueen Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:04am
post #2 of 5

I never tried so I'm just guessing here, but could you try fondant or gumpaste in a clay gun using the disc with the small round hole? That at least would give you even size strings, although they would not be flexible.

Did you try doing a search in the galleries for guitar cakes and see if you find something there? Sometimes people will say how they did things on the cake in the description or you could pm them and ask.

Sorry I'm not much help but it's all I can think of. I have tried sugarveil on another project without much success so I don't know if that would have worked.

Good luck.

costumeczar Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 5

I've done a bunch of guitar cakes, and the best looking strings don't end up being edible, since the fondant/gumpaste/chocolate ones don't sit on the guitar neck the same way that real guitar strings do. The last time I did one I took kite string (you can get it in the craft section at walmart,, etc.) and rubbed silver luster dust all over them to make them silver, then strung them on the guitar like real strings would be strung. That looked the best, I thought, of the options I've tried.

jammjenks Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 5

I have also seen on here where decorators have used uncooked spaghetti noodles. You may have to dust with something first, though.

MBoyd Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 5

I use fondant extruded through a clay gun.

You can't make them sit above the surface of the cake (on the neck or at the bottom where they end), And you absolutely have to use a straight edge to make them look right.

I made a nearly full size guitar cake (I think I posted the pic before) and the strings are tricky to get straight... but I like to do edible decorations whenever possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%