What Kind Of Cake Is Everyone Making Tonight?

Decorating By tugboat Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 5:26pm by auntginn

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 12

What kind of cake is everyone making? I'm working on a Hannah Montana cake for my neice. I just put in my first cake to bake so it could take me all night! I only have one pan like it icon_sad.gif

11 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #2 of 12

I have 2 orders. One for a small wedding cake and the other for Mickey & Minnie Mouse cupcakes for a brother and sister with a smash cake

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #3 of 12

The Mickey & Minnie Mouse cupcakes and smash cake sound really cute! I can't wait to see what they are going to look like!

Well, I was baking my cakes, already baked one, was getting ready to mix up the other cake mix and I realized that I switched the water and oil measurements! Instead of using 1-1/3 cups of water and 1/2 cup of oil, I put in 1-1/3 cups of oil and 1/2 water! icon_eek.gif I had to run back to the store to get more mix! I have a feeling this is going to be a long night!

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #4 of 12

i don't have orders for this weekend, just researching how to make butterflies for a cake in a couple of weeks. (Isn't it great that we can call being on CC research). Also looking at wedding cakes for inspiration for a future order (trying to help my friend, the bride, decide what kind of cake she wants, the wedding is still several months away.

Anyway, back to my research icon_lol.gif

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:32am
post #5 of 12

i don't have orders for this weekend, just researching how to make butterflies for a cake in a couple of weeks. (Isn't it great that we can call being on CC research). Also looking at wedding cakes for inspiration for a future order (trying to help my friend, the bride, decide what kind of cake she wants, the wedding is still several months away.

Anyway, back to my research icon_lol.gif

auntginn Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:41am
post #6 of 12

Nothng out of the ordinary for the cupcake itsel, but I had to make a topper because I could not find a wholesaler that carries M&M only. You know those plastic do-hickies for cupcakes. Anyway, I ran pics of them thru my frosting sheets, cut them out, pasted them to gumpaste, then with ri on a long toothpick.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:02am
post #7 of 12

I am finishing a wedding cake which is similar to the Wilton "daisy chain" incase anyone's familiar. The Bride changed the colors, but that's about it. Orange BC base coat, with fondant stripes around the exterior in different shades of oranges & blues... white fondant balls for the perimeters (they said to use BC, but I'm too afraid of the heat)... and white fondant daisies encircling the top of each cake. 3 tiers, separated with push-through columns (love the push through type - easier for me!)... I also have a 3D Thomas the Train for Sunday, and he will be on top of a 1/4 sheet cake. Those are baked & the sheet cake is crumb-coated. I have him down to a science now so it shouldn't take that long - but when will I get back from the wedding? Midnight? The Thomas cake is due at 1pm Sunday... so tomorrow night is going to be my bad night!
Sorry you had a disaster with switching measurements. I've done that & I HATE IT! Whenever I'm under-the-gun, I make all kinds of mistakes like that. ugh!

auntginn Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:08am
post #8 of 12

I'm not familiar with that daisy design, please post a pic after so I can see. I have a small wedding cake and I love the look of all that scroll work, but can't seem to get mine to look like it comes together. I bought the plastic markers from Wilton, so I can trace them but still I'm missing something.

Sorry to ramble, show down is tomorrow for me. Boh orders due.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:24am
post #9 of 12

I just bought that scroll set & it really helped me, maybe just try it some more. Mine were still kind of "nike-swooshy" =) I've scanned a picture from the Wilton book "Tiered Cakes, a Showcase of Dramatic Designs for Special Occasions". This is for the little sister of my good friend. Her wedding is tomorrow & I just finished it! I have the same columns, though she won't have them covered with daisies, and there will be no topper. Her colors are orange & blue, so she asked for a light orange base coat & varying colors of blue & orange for the stripes. I did the tops of each tier in orange as well, so the daisy tops would stand-out better (and okay, it would be easier for me not to have that color difference - this is BC)... the strips, daisies & balls are all fondant. The directions in the book say to use BC for the balls, but I felt like fondant for them - I haven't worked with it a lot & I thought it would be fun (dumb! that was a lot of rolling!)....... so, I hope my version is as cute & I must say that I think it did turn-out pretty cute! I can't wait to see it assembled tomorrow! I might get depressed when I cut it, except that I cannot wait to have a piece of the middle tier which is dark chocoloate cake with whipped chocolate ganache filling! (the bottom is lemon with raspberry preserves filling & the top is carrot cake)... I may have a slice of the bottom too, because as the Baker, or "Confectionary Artist" as it reads on my business card, we also have to maintain quality control, and of course we dispose of any sloppy pieces =)
Okay, sorry for my late-night rambling....... now I'm packing-up my delivery tote & calling it a night!
LL

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 12

Made a Superman character shaped cake with a sheetcake and Smashcake...making a rum cake and a 3D baseball cake.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #11 of 12

Just a double vanilla funfetti-type bundt, with double vanilla BC and multicolor vanilla dots -- the birthday lady likes vanilla!

auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:26pm
post #12 of 12

I like vanilla too. Any of my recipes that call for vanilla get triple vanilla. Its oh so good! lol

OCakes, that looks so cute. I love the idea that its not the normal wedding cake. Its colordul. And I agree about the quality control, but now I have to loose 65 lbs due to quality control lol. Let us know when you post the pic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%