Help, Suggestions.... Ahhh

Decorating By caincakemaker Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 6:05am by erinalicia

caincakemaker Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, I cannot get my cake to look like the picture the bride gave me. I don't know how to do it the same and I mean by tomorrow. Has anyone ever had to call the bride the day before the wedding in order so see if she cares if yo change the look a little?? I have never had this happen.
LL
LL

13 replies
caincakemaker Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 14

By the way the color of my cake is the color she wanted which I don't like as well as the original. Obviously I haven't put the border around the bottom.

ladyonzlake Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #3 of 14

You just need to add more leaf impressions, otherwise it looks great!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #4 of 14

You are more than fine. I would not call the bride over a slight invisible variation. I mean you got it--make a few more impressions or leave it as is. You're great.

No worries.

If for some reason you cannot add any more impressions, consider putting some thin leaves on there.

I don't have a contract because I just don't care to list every possible risk imaginable and create and be responsible for more fine print and paperwork than the government. But I do have this one little ditty on my order blank, "I reserve the right to make your cake to the best of my ability." All this here that you're in right now goes under that 'clause' best of my ability. Run with it. No, continue flying with it--you got it!
High five!!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:32am
post #5 of 14

Practice on a scrap, but I would freehand some too. Like with a knife or a pointy wooden stick or whatever I could find that would work good.

Whatever you're unhappy with is not coming through on the photos.

caincakemaker Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #6 of 14

Wow, thanks for the help and vote of confidence. I think it will probably look ok once I get all 4 tiers on top of one another. I am going to add some impressions to make it a bit more dense. Thanks!

momvarden Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #7 of 14

I belive that they got they're impressions with a engraved rolling pin.
when they roll the fondant out to the size they need, they then take the special rolling pin and go over it creating the pattern.
this is not the one they are using in the photo you shared but this is the idea behind what i am talking about.
http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=3273&manufacid=205http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/FMM/sfpins.jpg

Brujalita Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #8 of 14

I agree with everyone else. You may just need to take a couple of steps back and not look at it with a too critical eye. (We all do, though!) Once you put the other tiers on and finish it off with the ribbon, it'll look fabulous! Be sure you post a finished picture. I'm sure the bride will love it.

waywordz Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:49am
post #9 of 14

Just thought I would add, I think yours looks better than the other one. They have a lot of yellow in the picture is all I think the color difference is. And your leaf patterens are more evenly spaced making it look , IMHO, more professional. Are you using the wilton leaf imprint things? Theirs looks like its a roller. And I think yours looks better. Keep up the good work!

waywordz Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #10 of 14

Needed to add: You're gonna hear"Oooh! Ahhh!" It's just hard to not be critical of yourself. (I Know, me too.)

Tona Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #11 of 14

looks great just add a few more imprints and you got it. Good luck

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:03am
post #12 of 14

Yes ..it looks like a rolling pin impression.

Like this ones!

But I do like the way you are doing it ..Looks natural
LL

caincakemaker Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #13 of 14

I did search fairly hi and low for these rollers with the imprint that the picture had and could not find one. I hasten to add, I wasn't charging enough to purchase one that was $50 or higher. I actually bought three different leaf impressions from Sugarart. One is made of a rubbery substance the others are plungers that I took apart.

Live and learn...

Thanks again, you all have made me a LOT less stressed out. Now for cup 'o joe number, well, who's counting.... icon_smile.gif And off I go...

erinalicia Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:05am
post #14 of 14

I think yours looks good... like the others said, maybe a few more impressions. And the border will definitely cover the cracking fondant. icon_smile.gif I think it's pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%