Whipped Chocolate Ganache Help Please

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 6:09am by ladyonzlake

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 9

I thought I did this right, made the ganache, let it cool, refrigerated it overnight then let it sit out today so it wasn't so cold and put it in the KA with the wisk and whipped it. It's nothing but soup, what the heck??? Any ideas please, I'm supposed to be filling this cake NOW!!!

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 9

It may have too much cream for the amount of chocolate. It should start thickening fairly quickly as you beat it (careful not to over beat it)

Try adding more melted chocolate and using a whisk. alternate whisk and chill, whisk/chill . It should start thickening.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 9

What recipe did you use?

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 9

I just used the basic ratio, I think it was 9oz choc to a cup of cream. I used it anyway, just really thin...

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 9

If you use the chocolate chip version mine is 2 12 oz bags chips , 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter...

if using it to whip you need it to come completely to room temp... then wrap the bowl (with the plastic touching the surface of the chocolate) and let it sit in the fridge till it gets about the thickness of pudding.... then you can bring it out and whip it... and I always put my whip attachment and my bowl in the freezer for a few minutes before adding the ganache to whip icon_smile.gif whips much faster

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:49am
post #6 of 9

I always whip my ganache cold after it's been refrigerated 8 hours or overnight.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #7 of 9

I think that is the key Jacqui ... I also like to fridge it overnight.. I also like to use a extremely cold bowl and whip attachment to whip it with icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #8 of 9

Okay I have a whole lotta questions: I have a chocolate cake coming up in three days and I just found out he cannot have anything with corn in it -- no cornstarch, no corn syrup, etc. So I'm making him a chocolate cake with a whipped ganache frosting and gilded chocolate leaves. Now I've never whipped ganache in my life and the chocolate I have is completely bloomed -- it's not the freshest stuff. Will this work or do I need fresher chocolate? Then what ratio cream to chocolate? I have about 15 different recipes with all different ratios. Also can candy melts be used in lieu of chocolate or does it have to be the real thing? Oh the questions, the questions... icon_rolleyes.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:09am
post #9 of 9

If you go to www.baking911.com they have a section about ganache and the different chocolate to cream ratio's as to what type of ganache you want to make.

I always use semisweet gharadelli (sp?) chocolate..no wafer chocolate so I don't know how that would work. My one tip with whipped ganache is not to over whip or you'll have a grainy mess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%