Calla Lillies And Orchids Toxic?

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm by jessfmaldonado

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 8

I have a friend who wants her cake decorated with calla lillies and orchids. I'm pretty sure that they are toxic and should not be placed on cakes but I'd like to double check. Does anyone know? Also, what would you charge per gumpaset calla lily and orchid. I was thinking $2/lily and $5/orchid. Sound right?

7 replies
EmilyGrace Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 8

No one? I did a google search and calla's are definatley a no go, very toxic. I couldn't find anything about orchids though... anybody know?

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 8

As far as I know, no they are not. I've seen cakes with fresh orchids on them, and if you do a search on google, they show up on non-toxic lists. You're right about the calla lillies. Those are pretty simple to make with gumpaste though. Good luck!

EmilyGrace Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:44am
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I think I'll sugest that I make them both... it would look funny to have some real and some gumpaste I think.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:57am
post #5 of 8

Not sure about all of them, but most orchids are just fine. Some (bought from the right sources) are even used for eating.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #6 of 8

Do you have the cutters for the orchids - shudder - that is one flower I'd charge a LOT for icon_rolleyes.gif

EmilyGrace Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 8

I have the wilton cutters. I'm not a huge fan of them though so I might buy a different set. I have some orchids on a cake in my pics that I did with the wilton cutters.... I'll attach it... they just don't look that realistic to me... what do you think?
LL

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 8

Here is a link to a forum that Christi (wgoat5) started to help everyone with toxic flowers. Great info!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5990294-.html#5990294

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%