What Else Can I Add To My Buttercream Filling?

Decorating By marion123 Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm by keconnell08

marion123 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 21

Hello Everyone..

I added Cho. Chips to my buttercream for filling and it was a big hit.. What else could I add?? I tried looking it up under receipes, but I wasn't using the correct wording..

Could I use Oreos' or would they get soggy?

20 replies
LeckieAnne Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 21

I mix buttercream about 1/2 and 1/2 with jams (like Smucker's strawberry jam) and it's delicious. Cracker Barrel Country store sells a seedless raspberry jam that's my very favorite - but I can't remember the brand name.

PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 21

melted chocolate, peanut butter, nut pastes (hazelnut, pistachio, etc), coffee extract, crushed oreos, jams, purees... the possibilities are endless really.

marion123 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 21

great.. thank you so much, does the jam have to be refrigated with the buttercream or can I leave it out??

thank you again!!

Jenn2179 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 21

My husband LOVES oreos added to my buttercream.

yummymummy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 21

Refigeration isn't necessary when adding jam to bc as far as I know. My most popular non perishable filling is cookies & cream. Crushed oreos mixed with bc! YUMMMM!

cupcakemkr Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 21

how about crushed up heath bar or snickers candy or butterfinger.....ANYTHING can be added. Go to the ice cream isle and look at the Ben & Jerry's flavors - you can put anything they would put into their ic into your bc. Have fun with it icon_biggrin.gif

mom2leelee Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 21

In my chocolate cake I just made I melted some strawberry spread and mixed it w/ the buttercream. It tasted great.

marion123 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 21

thank you so much guys~!!!!

I have so many great idea's now!!!
You guys are the best!!! Have a good weekend!!

vdrsolo Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #10 of 21
Originally Posted by carissa123

great.. thank you so much, does the jam have to be refrigated with the buttercream or can I leave it out??

thank you again!!

Yes, any fillings made with jams, jellies, and preserves require the cake to be refrigerated since they can mold/ferment at room temperature very quickly.

briannastreats Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #11 of 21

I love this thread... I tend to always do plain buttercream as the filling... These are great ideas!

Thank you!

Monkess Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #12 of 21

One of the most popular we do has vanilla bc with butterscotch chips and a generous drizzle of dulce de leche...scruptious.

lutie Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:15am
post #13 of 21

Try the Strawberry Butter Cream (the recipe is on this site)... it is the biggest hit every time I serve it.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #14 of 21

There are "toppins" in the icecream isle... when I have to do a small amount of cookies and cream BC filling then I use the oreos in that little bottle... also.. the reeses toppings are very good...

Peanut butter
caramel topping
hot fudge topping...

crushed up malted milk balls is also very good icon_smile.gif

marion123 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:20am
post #15 of 21

What is dulce de leche? The butterscotch chips sounds so yummy!!

marion123 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:37am
post #16 of 21

**lutie - I looked up the receipe for Strawberry Butterream, and I'm going to try and make it, I have a question.. The receipe calls for 1 over-flowing Tablespoon Creme Bouquet. What is Creme Bouquet and where do I get it?

Thanks again

Amia Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 21

Creme bouquet is a flavoring. You can buy it at most cake supply stores or online. I know countrykitchensa.com sells it. Globalsugarart.com probably does too.

Kay_NL Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #18 of 21

I think mini M&M's or something similar would be great, and kids would love the rainbow they would make in the bc!!

lutie Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #19 of 21

The Creme Bouquet can be ordered from Global Sugar Art (that is where I bought mine and they are really fast on shipping!), but there is a recipe for it on the CC forums which a lot of people are using... of course, I found it AFTER I had ordered three bottles of the Creme Bouquet icon_lol.gif

Creme Bouquet Recipe

1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp (clear) vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp butter flavoring

It really gives it a nice flavor... I think you will really like it... all my my catering customers love it and request it over and over... you can change the fruit in the recipe .... just buy different preserves! Please let me know how you liked it... Please?

Monkess Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #20 of 21

Dulce de leche is a caramelised condensed milk widely used in Argentina. It is a convienet way of adding a caramel flavor to condensed milk instead of cooking it yourself (and perhaps burning it along the way!) You can add rum to the cake to make it more authentic. Also any butter cake with lemon and a generous drizzle of this - heaven! Cheersicon_smile.gif

keconnell08 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm
post #21 of 21

Flavored non-dairy coffee creamer works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%