Oklahoma Bakers

Business By rsaun Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm by Mencked

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 5

I recently moved to Oklahoma. I was stupid and did not research Oklahoma laws regarding home-based businesses. I had come from Ohio where cottage industry was fine, and so I assumed it was here, too. Big mistake.

I got "caught" by the Department of Health and can no longer do my cakes unless I get a commercial kitchen. Ummm...that's not gonna happen.

Home bakeries are not licensed or legal in Oklahoma. If you are doing this in Oklahoma be careful. I didn't get in trouble, but can't sell my cakes anymore. I don't want anyone else to get this embarrassing and scary phone call.

4 replies
tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, I am also in Oklahoma and ran into this a few years ago. I was not "caught" but did find out that I could not do it from my home. It took my a little bit but I did eventually get a bakery opened up and even with that the health dept. still stays on our tails haha

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 5

in my county you can do it from home if you have a separate kitchen.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 5

I found that out too right when I started the initial thought of a business. The first thing that stopped me was the homeowner's assc. of the subdivision I live in. The do not allow home based businesses, whatever it may be. Then when I started the process of a commercial business and was dealing directly with the health dept person, he told me it is illegal to sell any type of food out of your home in Oklahoma County, which is the county I am in. He stated there are a lot of cake people do it out of their home but they don't chase them down unless there is a complaint. He almost said they are more worried about the "bigger" fish like restaurants, etc. He did say each county has different guidlines.

So, what are you going to do??? I am sorry that happened to you.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 5

Where can you look to find the guidelines for your county. I am looking at the opportunity of getting a trailer to put my kitchen in so that I will have a seperate kitchen...but have no idea where to look for guidelines. Help and I'm so excited!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%