Gumpaste Mix Or Pre-Made

Decorating By calynmom Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm by Sugarflowers

calynmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 25

I need a question answered. I bought some prepacked gumpaste, opened it, used a little then resealed it.

When I went to use it today (2 weeks since I opened it) and I had a hard time getting it smooth to do some figures. icon_sad.gif

Is the prepacked stuff better to use all at once or should I go to the stuff that you mix with water.

What are the pros and cons to both.

TIA ! icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 25

I don't use either (I make my own), so I can't really comment. But you could try working some shortening into what you have to see if you can get it more pliable.

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 25

I used the premade wilton gumpaste and yes it does that sometimes. All you have to do is add some shortening or cooking spray and knead it until smooth. Keep adding shortening as needed.

BellaSweet Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 25

I like the powder mix in a can. I think it's wilton. But I make the whole thing and just seal the leftovers in an old fondant bucket. That's the first and only I have ever used.

jessfmaldonado Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 25

This is the recipe I use, It's the Nick Lodge Recipe, this is the best gumpaste I have worked with!!! Its on his website so I dont think it will be bad to post it here.

Tylose Gumpaste
Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum tragacanth. The advantage of the tylose is that the paste is less expensive,, easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color. The 55g container makes approximately 3 pounds of finished gumpaste.

The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into the paste. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer.

calynmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 25

How much should I add at one time. A tsp or so ???

calynmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 25

That sounds easy enough. I will try that this weekend. Thanks !

PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 25

Just take some on your fingers and work it in a little at a time until the paste feels right. It's not an exact science... just knead it in little by little.

mariela_ms Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 25

Can you use regular PS or does it have to be 10x ???

I've never seen 10x PS where I live...
THanks.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 25

Confectioners, sugar, is powdered sugar, is 10X sugar. Different names for the same thing. Depends on where in the country you are which name it goes by.

mariela_ms Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 25

oh... Thanks Lady_Phoenix! I just thought it was something different !!!

Pama2d Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 25

I can't speak for the gumpaste mix... but can from experience say don't use the pre-made gumpaste. I have had nothing but a hard time with the premade stuff. It never seems to harden or dry completely. I've heard nothing but good reviews of the Nicholas Lodge recipe... that is what I am trying this weekend!! Hopefully I will have better results.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 25

Nope, the 10X just refers to the fineness of the grains as compared to regular granular sugar. You can make confectioners sugar by using a cup of regular sugar and 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch. Combine them in a food processor and grind till powdered!

KathysCC Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 25

I just used Satin Ice premade gumpaste a couple of days ago. It worked beautifully. I've had it for a while and it has no hard areas on it like the Wilton does. I'll never use Wilton again. I've bought Wilton brand new with hard corners. The satin ice is perfectly smooth and smells and tastes like their fondant. thumbs_up.gif

Pama2d Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 25

KathysCC - Did the Satin Ice Gumpaste harden completely?

KathysCC Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pama2d

KathysCC - Did the Satin Ice Gumpaste harden completely?

As far as I can tell, yes. I made some cute baby cowboy boots with it for a cake I am doing tomorrow and they hardened just fine.

jolmk Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #17 of 25

I have been using Satin Ice gp, and have had no problems. Roses dried beautifully, and no hard dry spots the the bag.

Jo

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #18 of 25

I love Nicholas Lodge.. You can refrigerate for 6 months..Is great.. The tylose dries in a matter of a few days..

icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #19 of 25

i aslo make nicholas lodge recipe..... but when i am out... i use the wilton premade.... the satin ice gumpaste is too soft for me.... won,t ever try it again..... don,t like the wilton in the can that you mix with water.... we all like to work with different products and that is ok.... what works for one.. doesn,t work for the other.... we eliminate what we don,t like to work with..

jessfmaldonado Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i aslo make nicholas lodge recipe..... but when i am out... i use the wilton premade.... the satin ice gumpaste is too soft for me.... won,t ever try it again..... don,t like the wilton in the can that you mix with water.... we all like to work with different products and that is ok.... what works for one.. doesn,t work for the other.... we eliminate what we don,t like to work with..

I have used SI gumpaste, it was so cheap for 5 pounds it was 11.00. I also found it too soft. Michele Foster suggested to me to add some tylose to it. I was TONS better!!!! At least I was able to use all of the tub and not let it go to waste. Now I just use the Nicholas Lodge Recipe!! But now I can always improvise when I don't have some, or if I need a whole lot of gumpaste!

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

So I am not the only one who thinks satin ice is too soft!..lol I do the same icer!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tame Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #22 of 25

thanks

Kaybaby Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #23 of 25

If I need to make a small batch of the NL recipe do you think it would come out ok if I halfed the recipe?

Thanks so much.

My name is Vonda and I am officially a CC addict!

tonedna Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #24 of 25

I never done it in halfs..I think it might be ok. But it can be saved for up to 6 months in the fridge..
Edna

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybaby

If I need to make a small batch of the NL recipe do you think it would come out ok if I halfed the recipe?

Thanks so much.

My name is Vonda and I am officially a CC addict!

I made a half batch and it worked out well. It still made a lot, so I put some of it in the freezer. It's a little too soft for my hot hands, but I does work very well in dry climates. I live in Texas which can be dry one day and then very humid the next.

The gumpaste I use most of the time is Pettinice fondant (or my fondant) mixed with tylose. As I said, I have very warm hands so my gumpaste has to be very stiff. It's usually too stiff for most people to use.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%