Its Here... I Finally Got An Order For Mini Cakes

Decorating By pinklesley1 Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm by pinklesley1

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 14

i just got an order to do mini cakes, bc the bride is having a ceremony but no reception, but wants her guests to have mini cakes. now i hate these things.. i did it once for a friend... (but i bought the 3 tier mini pan) and it was he7L bc they got stuck, broke, ended up lopsided... crazy...

so i have 2 questions... how much do i charge for a 2 inch diameter mini cake...

and is it better to just do a sheet cake and use a cutter, or buy the tiny little cake pans...

help... promised to give her a quote by today

ps she wants white on white fondant!

13 replies
pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 14

oh and she wants her initials in whte fondant on the white fondant???

she said that if i had any suggestions to let her know...
i wanted to suggest a cutting cake as well but am not sure that i should...

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 14

I did some single-tier mini cakes back in January. I torted a sheet cake and used a cookie cutter to cut them out.

each little cake was put on a flat sugar cookie base-just a smidge bigger that the cake-then covered with fondant. That way the entire thing is edible. The best part was no cutting out a bazillion little boards!

Each little cake was put into a 3x3x4 cello box tied with a small bow. I put my business label on the bottom of each box! thumbs_up.gif

They can definately be a pia- but put into a pretty box and stacked up like a wedding cake for display can look pretty impressive!

HTH

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 14

maybe she would go for mini cupcakes? i know you didn't say that you really mind doing the mini's... but what i've read here they are a crazy annoyance. just something to think about...

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 14

How many minis are you talking about here? I did an order for 30 a while back, that I cut with a cutter from sheet cakes, covered in buttercream, and then fondant. I worked on those buggers off and on for three days. I was happy with how the turned out, but they are pretty time consuming. (I also added a small fondant rose and leaves to each, and sprayed with pearl dust so they sparkled.)

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 14

A cake designer from Tampa ,I think her name is Iris , charges $5.00 for the 2 inch mini and $7.00 for the 3 inch one.Don't know in the Miami area.

HTH

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 14

she hasnt responded me back with how many she needs... i think that if she tells me 100 i will flat out tell her no...

but i think that $5.00 is not bad

about the boards, i know a place that sells little boards... they are meant for desserts but work great for little cakes...

i make the texas style cupcakes (huge cupcakes) for my tastings and put them on these mini boards, and it makes them look so elegant...

i hate cupcakes... bc of the fact that i mostly work with fondant and you cant really fondant a cupcake, i dont like them...

i want her to respond to me... and tell me how may she needs...
i charge $3.00 a slice for my cakes, so i think that $5.00 for each of the mini cakes would be ok... what do you guys think?????

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 14

I made 25 mini cakes not too long ago and cut them each out separately from a square pan. Instead of torting and filling each one I injected the filling in using a pastry bag and big tip. It sorta worked. Next time I will look into something that gets it into the cake deeper, but it did save a lot of time...anyway by the time I was done I wanted to charge $10.00 a piece! They take so much time! I think the $7.00 fee would be best. Oh and I used a meringue bc that made it so much easier for me. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 14

i think that 7 may be too much...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

i hate cupcakes... bc of the fact that i mostly work with fondant and you cant really fondant a cupcake, i dont like them...

You can put fondant on a cupcake. I do it all the time and people really notice them because of the unusual look.

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 14

you do.. can you send me a pic... i would love to see that.....

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 14
pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 14

they are absolutely fabulous...
i have to make some and put them on my website...
i think i may even like something like that for my tastings...

hey does anyone have a real yummy poured fondant recipie....?

pinklesley1 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #14 of 14

bc i see alot of people that use that... but i think that i like the regular fondant... they look more eatable

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%