M & M 's As Flowers

Decorating By charman Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 4:48am by pyj2reid

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 14

I am doing a wedding cake tomorrow that has 2 shades of blue M & M's on it...instead of swiss dots.

They have asked for a 9x13 sheet cake for the groom's parents 45th anniversary...could I use a darker blue M & M as a "flower" on the cake? I am thinking of putting an over in the center with the wording inside of it, and then run vines (real pale sage green) from the center out. Was thinking then I could take a few of the dark blue M & M's she gave me, and put as "flowers" randomly on the vines, and use a leaf tip to put a small leaf coming off of it. Can anyone picture that?

Or should I just leave the M & M's for the bride and groom, and do roses in sapphire blue for the anniversary cake?

Again, HELP!!! My creative juices on this one isn't flowing very well! Bride had no preferences, and said do what I wanted. I hate sheet cakes...so limiting I think!

13 replies
CulinaryActor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CulinaryActor Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 14

I see where your going I think that that would look really neat and save the roses for the weding cake or does the wedding cake want m&ms too?

charman Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 14

The wedding cake has the M & M's to start with...and a M & M cake topper...was thinking since she already had the dark blue m & M's...I could use for the anniversary cake as well.

Too much...taking away from the actual wedding cake? They want them set on the same table as well.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 14

lots of ideas on this website that may help:
http://www.brightideas.com/summer/decorating/d_1640_1.jsp

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 14

Check out indydebi's M&M cake.....let me see if I can find the link.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=415413

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 14

charman Your idea sounds very cute ! If its going to sit on the same table you might want to go ahead and have them match somewhat ! Does anyone know if what moisture there might be from cake/ icing etc, make the m&ms color run at all ?" I know melt in your mouth not in your hand" But just wondering cause they sit right on the icing ! Wondering for a future cake I have !

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 14

A few years ago I sprinkled my borders on a cake with those teeny-tiny m@m brand candies and they DID bleed so I made a mental note to never try that again. The cake had buttercream and it was refrigerated right after decorating. It happened after taking out of fridge and sitting a few hours at room temp.

charman Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 14

Hm...you have me wondering if I should wait to attach the M & M's for when I get to the reception site. I know they will run, but I do not refrigerate my cakes either...so that could make a difference. I could mark where they will go, and then attach...take more time at the sight, but won't have to worry about them falling off in transport.

Another thought I had was, what about attaching them with Royal Icing...do you think that would work?

joaaaann Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 14

You know..I think that might actually work perfectly. I can't be sure but after all It dries fast and completely ...it's a great glue and should adhere without moisture issues with the buttercream at all most likely.

charman Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 14

Will the royal on Buttercream be an issue though?
Not sure it would actually dry any harder than the BC would crust now that I think of it. Errr...guess I will have to experiment and see. I was planning to just put a dot of BC behind each M & M, like a swiss dot, and then attach the M & M...not actually press into the cake icing itself. Should work. If it were on fondant icing...I think I would do the RI idea.
Wish me luck!

charman Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #11 of 14

Well, good news, the M&M's stuck just fine with the BC icing..a few (6 at most) dropped off the sides, but no bleeding of colors to speak of...in fact, when the dropped...they dropped nice and clean. I'll post the pictures soon. Thanks for the help!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #12 of 14

I just now found this thread and am glad to hear it all turned out great! I LUV M&M cakes and am looking forward to seeing your pic!!

Here's a close up of the flowers I made of M&M's, using melted chocolate. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=415393 I attached all with a blop of BC on the underside.

I agree that refrigerating could cause the color bleed. I applied my mini M&M's to the border (on the brown tier in the pic of the cake) while the icing was still soft, and when it crusted it just locked those little suckers in place! thumbs_up.gif

joaaaann Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:36am
post #13 of 14

I just came back to this post after a couple weeks of mandatory OT at work so I haven't had time to be on the computer really. I wanted ot see how your cake came out and I took a look just now and.. it is S-U-P-E-R-B!!!! So we both learned something on this post I guess. But your cake is so beautiful. I love it!

pyj2reid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pyj2reid Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:48am
post #14 of 14

I already put the M&Ms on my cream cheese frosting and stuck some in the fridge and noticed they started to run. Should I put them in the freezer instead? How can I prevent the running when they need to be refrigerated?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%