Ovens: Gas Vs. Electric

Decorating By Jolene78 Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm by leily

Jolene78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolene78 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I am in the process of selecting a new stove. I am a home baker and am torn between an all gas range or one of the dual fuel (gas cooktop w/ electric oven). I definately want a gas cooktop. I have never used electric an electric oven. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

12 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 13

Personally, I don't think I could EVER use an electric one. We used to have one and it was goofy. I baked once w/one and my cakes so did not come out.

PErsonally, I would get a gas one.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 13

Stick with the gas!

I live in apartments and we have electric ovens.....

If I follow directions on the cake mix my cake will be black and burned!!! icon_surprised.gif

I had to bake a chocolate cake at about twenty minutes when on the box it said 35.

You would have to test to see what works with the cakes in the oven...it's a pain!!!

But that's just me... icon_smile.gif

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 13

Stick with the gas!

I live in apartments and we have electric ovens.....

If I follow directions on the cake mix my cake will be black and burned!!! icon_surprised.gif

I had to bake a chocolate cake at about twenty minutes when on the box it said 35.

You would have to test to see what works with the cakes in the oven...it's a pain!!!

But that's just me... icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 13

I have both. A regular gas and an electric convection. For big cakes, 14" or larger I like the slower gas. For small cakes I prefer the speed of the convectino. For cookies, convection is by far the best. In fact I initially bought my electric convection just for cookies.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 13

O.k. here's the whole skinnyicon_smile.gif
My DH is a retired appliance repairman.
He says heat is heat is heat....no matter if it comes from gas, electric or wood!

It';s all in what you are used to. I have baked w/natural gas, propane and electric......it's not the fuel that makes the difference it's the oven its self.

You always have to 'play' around w/a new ov en to see how it works.
As to the gal who's appt oven bruns everything - have you had it checked?? Any repair man will calabrate it for you. This takes a special meter and about 2 hrs time. Ev en NEW stoves can hav e the calabration off so if you are having trouble w/your oven have it checked........it's welll worth it.

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 13

I too have both. But I love my kitchenaid duel fuel convection the best. I love the speed of the elec. I find it bakes evenly and I can set it and forget it! I bake alot of squares and cookies and they come out perfect everytime. Just finished 2 14" cakes in the duel fuel and they are level. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #8 of 13

I agree with Kakeladi's DH. I learned how to cook on a gas stove--got married and the apartment had a electric stove.OK fast forward to now and I prefer the electric stove. In the begining I did burn a lot of my cakes&cookies, but I asked around (at work) and found out yes you do have to adjust your baking time and the temperature.So if you do go electric just know ahead of time--you will have to adjust. Good Luck&Good Cooking to you.

Jolene78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolene78 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all! I just finished a 5 tier wedding cake in an electric oven. It wasn't too bad. I am replacing because we lost everything in a house fire. I'm considering the gas convection or duel fuel. Does anybody use wall ovens? Thanks Again!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 13

So sorry about your fire! Blessings on you as you go forward.

Umm if you get wall ovens or any oven--check out the interior and make sure you can get the size pans you want in there.

I wish I had gotten the one that has the smooth cooktop. Or the one that has the two ovens--the Gemini is it called?

Oh hey, mine has a warming drawer which is great for drying out flowers & stuff.

Just some new oven thoughts

Oh yeah, go in and ask for the rebates FIRST. I coulda saved a bundle had I known different companies were offering those awesome rebates. So check that out too.

I wanted one of these:

http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/antique.aspx

You can create a stove at that link ^^^ kinda fun. Or if the link doesn't work just google elmira stoves--to die for! However some of those stoves are a tad bigger than the usual space allotted. So measure carefully.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 13

Definately gas. To me gas cooks better.

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 13

It's all in which you prefer. All stoves are different and you just have to get use to how they operate.

The previous house that I lived in, had a gas stove. The one I live in now is an electric and is probably as old as the house. I started having problems in that everything I cooked would burn. I bought an oven thermometer and found out that the temperature was off. I now baked everything 125 degrees less than the temperature on the recipe. Every since I started doing that, I hadn't had any problems.

I am holding out until we remodel our kitchen, praying it will last that long. Then I hope to buy a larger oven. And it will be electric also.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 13

I have baked in Gas and Electric ovens (different brands and styles of both). I prefer the electric oven because I seem to get a more consitent heat.

Now as for stoves I prefer gas only because I can control the heat more. Althought right now I don't have room for a gas stove and electric oven (rentals are fun aren' they?) so I opted for an electric stove w/oven since I bake more.

But as mentioned above it is definitely a personal preference and what you are used to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%