Need All Cake Geniuses To Help W/ "pie Filling" Id

Decorating By Lemonydoodles Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 1:55am by luelue1971

Lemonydoodles Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be making some cupcakes for our family reunion coming up & after doing some searching and brainstorming myself I decided to make the cupcakes that look like mini cherry pies. I know most people who have recreated these put actual cherry pie filling (or any fruit filling) on the cake. The thing is I don't necessarily want to do that because some people in my family actually hate the taste of cherries (crazy, I know!) I was hoping I could get some ideas from y'all on how to do a "faux filling", lol. My initial thought was to ice it and the pipe some round balls of frosting and lightly glaze it w/ piping gel to give it that shiny look....but I have heard that piping gel tastes nasty & really hate to put that on if it will make my cupcake taste gross.....any suggestions? Thanks in advance if you even opened this up & read it............Have a great day!

4 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 5

There is a recipe in the recipe section for homemade piping gel. It's made with lemon juice and it's DELICIOUS. It sort of tastes like lemon italian ice icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6998-Piping-Gel-That-Works.html
It takes color really well, so if you dyed it red it would be perfect... Have you considered using dondant for the cherries?

KHalstead Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 5

why not use cake filling?? surely your family doesn't hate the taste of cake filling??? I mean you could use raspberry, strawberry, anything. Here is a little pie cake I did doing just that....I frosted it and then put the filling on top of the frosting...kind of a backwards cake I guess lol
LL

Lemonydoodles Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the suggestions ladies.... icon_smile.gif you would be surprised w/ what my family likes....they haven't been exposed to good cake until I started picking this up as a hobby....they request store bought cake all the time.

luelue1971 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #5 of 5

I have a cherry pie cake in my pics. I made the "filling" with the piping gel recipe mentioned above and rolled up rolled buttercream and put itin the piping gel for the filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%