Need All Cake Geniuses To Help W/ "pie Filling" Id

Decorating By Lemonydoodles Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 1:55am by luelue1971

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be making some cupcakes for our family reunion coming up & after doing some searching and brainstorming myself I decided to make the cupcakes that look like mini cherry pies. I know most people who have recreated these put actual cherry pie filling (or any fruit filling) on the cake. The thing is I don't necessarily want to do that because some people in my family actually hate the taste of cherries (crazy, I know!) I was hoping I could get some ideas from y'all on how to do a "faux filling", lol. My initial thought was to ice it and the pipe some round balls of frosting and lightly glaze it w/ piping gel to give it that shiny look....but I have heard that piping gel tastes nasty & really hate to put that on if it will make my cupcake taste gross.....any suggestions? Thanks in advance if you even opened this up & read it............Have a great day!

4 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 5

There is a recipe in the recipe section for homemade piping gel. It's made with lemon juice and it's DELICIOUS. It sort of tastes like lemon italian ice icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6998-Piping-Gel-That-Works.html
It takes color really well, so if you dyed it red it would be perfect... Have you considered using dondant for the cherries?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 5

why not use cake filling?? surely your family doesn't hate the taste of cake filling??? I mean you could use raspberry, strawberry, anything. Here is a little pie cake I did doing just that....I frosted it and then put the filling on top of the frosting...kind of a backwards cake I guess lol
LL

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the suggestions ladies.... icon_smile.gif you would be surprised w/ what my family likes....they haven't been exposed to good cake until I started picking this up as a hobby....they request store bought cake all the time.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #5 of 5

I have a cherry pie cake in my pics. I made the "filling" with the piping gel recipe mentioned above and rolled up rolled buttercream and put itin the piping gel for the filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%