Trouble With Torting...

Decorating By plbennett_8 Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm by vdrsolo

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 7

Good morning all,

I hope someone can help with some tip or tricks that I have not figured out... I am having a trouble torting 2" cakes... I use the WASC or a variety for most of my cakes. When I use my 3" pans I do not have a problem, but when I use my 2" pans they start to fall apart on me. I'm about at the point of completely blowing off torting on larger cakes where I have to use a 2" pan...sigh... icon_cry.gif

Help! icon_rolleyes.gif I hate to lose the lovely look of the torte, but I don't want them to fall apart either...

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
Pat

6 replies
pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure what is causing this problem for you, but I do know it is easier to tort when I fill pans to where they reach a full 2" plus. Less than that and the layers get pretty thin. Also, is the cake dense?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

Have you tried chilling your cakes a bit before you torte them? And when you try to move the layers use a cake board to support them.

I torte my 2" cakes all the time and never have a problem. I bake from scratch, but that shouldn't make a difference. Chilling the cake will firm it up and make it less apt to break on you. My layers arr about 7/8's on an inch tall from a 2" pan and I have done thinner than that too. HTH's a bit.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 7

I chill the cake well and use dental floss... works even on very soft light cakes that would have a tendancy to crack when picked up. I also use a flat, very thin cutting board to lift of the layers

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 7

I'm so glad you asked this as I had the same problem. I also used the wasc recipe it was almost as though it was too moist? The agbay leveler is on my wish list otherwise I'm about to give up! I will try chilling them.

Kelley

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks all icon_smile.gif

I usually try to freeze my cakes for the moistness, but was not able to this time. I will definitely try chilling next time. This cake is the original WASC with the egg whites only... I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it... Does not have the "strength" of the yolk...? Now I just hope that it cuts without falling apart...

Wish that I could justify an Agbay, but I just don't have that kind of volume right now...

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
Pat

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 7

If you are using a Wilton levleler, throw it in the trash and get an Agbay!!

I let my cakes cool, then I torte (no freezing or refrigerating), and torte 2" layers ALL the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%