The Use Of Gloves When Working With Fondant?

Decorating By PatrysV Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:27pm by -K8memphis

PatrysV Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:00am
post #1 of 14

I would like to know how you guys colour your fondant. I use liquid colouring and it stains my nails!! icon_cry.gif I thought about using gloves when I do this, but won't the fondant stick to it? If you can use gloves - what kind? icon_confused.gif

13 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:11am
post #2 of 14

the school of thought on this is food save non-latex gloves.....they are a pain. When I am plying with MMF, I use clean hands coating in crisco and then use dawn to wash them after and they are fine. But in a glove-required/desired situation, just be sure to NOT get latex due to all the allergics...and get them powder free but tight - those ones will drive you to the bottle, they are so frustrating! icon_lol.gif

PatrysV Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:16am
post #3 of 14

Thanks thumbs_up.gif I also prefer to colour with my bare hands, and the colour does wash off from my hands, but sometimes in runs in under my nails and no amount of scrubbing seems to help! icon_cry.gif And I'm actually in a very professional work, so it realy doesn't look good when I have one green and one blue-lined fingernail!!! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif (And I'm not fond of nailpolish)

ericaann79 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:26am
post #4 of 14

I use the wilton food safe gloves to color my fondant...I had having colored hands!

OCakes Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:02am
post #5 of 14

I used to work in an office, moonlighting as a baker of course... the black, green, red undernail problem. This might be scary, but I used to use a toothpick to wash under there. Nail file tips weren't the best... but if you forget to use the gloves & have the colored nail problem - try some fingernail polish remover or alcohol (sometimes bleach) ....that still doesn't get it 100%, but it's much better........... OR, the best way I would handle this situation was to paint my nails! Man, I don't miss that.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:59am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrysV

Thanks thumbs_up.gif I also prefer to colour with my bare hands, and the colour does wash off from my hands, but sometimes in runs in under my nails and no amount of scrubbing seems to help! icon_cry.gif And I'm actually in a very professional work, so it realy doesn't look good when I have one green and one blue-lined fingernail!!! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif (And I'm not fond of nailpolish)

There's a cleaning spray that they sell at Dollar Tree that will take food color off of hands. It's really for cleaning stuff...walls, floors, etc...but one day when I was using it on something I noticed it got all the food color off my fingers, and I've been using it for that ever since. It's a clear bottle with yellow liquid in it and I think it has "2000" somewhere in the name. It's really good for getting marker out of carpets too icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:15am
post #7 of 14

I found that some some reason Pears soap will get it off my hands better than any other soap/cleaner - don't know why!

DoniB Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:07am
post #8 of 14

I use the industrial-sized box of non-latex (allergic) food-safe gloves that my SIL gets for her Wendy's store where she's a manager. They work perfectly for fondant.

When I do get color under my nails and on my hands, though, I've found that Dawn Direct Foam works wonders. (It also works very nicely on buttercream, getting it out of your bags and such, when the hot water's running low. Love the stuff!!! Works for soot, too, but don't ask how I know that...)

PatrysV Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:10am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCakes

I used to work in an office, moonlighting as a baker of course... the black, green, red undernail problem. This might be scary, but I used to use a toothpick to wash under there. Nail file tips weren't the best... but if you forget to use the gloves & have the colored nail problem - try some fingernail polish remover or alcohol (sometimes bleach) ....that still doesn't get it 100%, but it's much better........... OR, the best way I would handle this situation was to paint my nails! Man, I don't miss that.

Thanks for the advice.
Are you now a full time "cakelady" ?...Man, I WISH I can be that soon!! icon_cool.gif

DianeLM Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:41pm
post #10 of 14

I use these http://www.rofson.com/foodservice/vinyl-gloves.shtml. I get them at Ace Mart Restaurant Supply. You can also order them on Amazon.com.

I never have a problem with sticking while I'm mixing colors, unless I've added too much color at one time. I prefer to knead in a little at a time so I can control the color, so the fondant doesn't get too soft and so the gloves won't stick! icon_smile.gif

In fact, whether I'm coloring it or not, fondant tends to stick to my hands when I'm NOT wearing the gloves!

vixterfsu Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 14

I saw this in "Real Simple" Magazine.
When gardening and you don't want to get the dirt
in the fingernails, you take a bar of soap and scrape
the nails so the soap gets under. So when your done, no dirt.
I put crisco under my nails and have had no problems. I also keep a nail cleaning brush at
the sink and use the dawn foam soap.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:00pm
post #12 of 14

Two ideas for yah.

One is -- I put my fondant and dark food coloring in a piece of plastic wrap and just diddle it around until it gets mixed in enough and then take it out of plastic wrap and finish kneading it. Y'know like just using the plastic wrap or plastic bag as a shield for a few of those initial kneads.

Two--I buy Polident tablets and keep them by my air brush colors because it's working the air brush that messes my nails the worst. So I just drop one in a cup of water. Dip my fingers in. Do my coloring. Dip some more, the color just washes off.

handymama Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:24pm
post #13 of 14

I've used vinyl gloves from Gordon Food Service but found that the fondant sticks to them and I end up wasting some of it as well as the coloring. Plus, it's harder to work with. The answer was plastic--if you've noticed, the fondant doesn't stick to plastic wrap. They were able to order the gloves in "small" for me. They work great for kneading in color, but do tend to break through at the fingertips after a fairly short time.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 14

I'm saying like a large loose piece of plastic wrap or larger loose plastic bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%