Sheet Cake Pricing For A Friend -- Help, Please!

Decorating By Rannadanna Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm by peg818

Rannadanna Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 2

Hi All,

I have only sold decorated cakes and have a request from a friend (though not a close one) for a dessert cake, not decorated, and a sheet cake at that. It's basically a strawberry shortcake. Layers of yellow cake layered with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. It'll be layered like strawberry shortcake, with the top being all strawberries and the sides unfrosted . I know a lot of people charge the same for their sheet cakes as for their decorated cakes, but I feel like my prices are on the higher end anyway (buttercream starts at $7/ per serving, fondant starts at $8/ per serving, sculpted cakes start at $10/ serving. Lately, most of my orders have been averaging $10-$13/ serving.) and even I feel like it's a bit unreasonable to pay $350 for this sheet cake. I think I'm going to quote her $275, which comes out to $5.50 per serving. I normally would not even take this order; I usually maintain a $600 minimum, but I'm caking anyway, it'll take me all of 2 seconds to throw together, and it is for a friend... Please give me your thoughts...

1 reply
peg818 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 2

i don't think you really need any of our advice on pricing, kudos to you for the price you command. Only in my dreams would i be able to get $10/serving for any cake. Around here the cheap people i deal with don't want to go even as high as $3. So although i can offer no advice, all i can say is good for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%