Is Corn Starch And Cornflour The Same Thing??

Decorating By valstupendo Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm by Mike1394

valstupendo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valstupendo Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #1 of 4

I have a book from the UK and a recipe I want to make in it calls for cornflour... but I can't find it anywhere here (in Canada), and I assumed corn starch is the same thing (it's to make a gelatin icing).
I looked around online and found BOTH answers, yes and no.... so some people are saying the ARE the same thing and some are saying they AREN'T. Anyone here know for sure? I don't want to ruin the recipe, but because it's an icing, I am assuming that using a 'flour' just doesn't seem right... I would assume the corn starch to be the correct answer.

Any info?
Thanks a bunch.

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #2 of 4

The charts I've seen, say yes, they are one and the same ingredient.

Here's one chart:

http://www.happydaycards.com/ww/foodtranslations.html

In your charts that say they aren't the same, what is the equivalent: cornmeal.... That would definitely be something you would never put in frosting.

HTH

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #3 of 4

I would assune that you are correct that it is indeed cornstarch that they are asking for. especially since it is for a type of frosting , as the other type of cornflour is the flour that corn tortillas are made from HTH

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 4

You are cooking this, right? I would go for the corn starch then. The flour is harder to cook out, it could leave an aftertaste.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%